Most memorable Chicago history and/or Chicago mystery book?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Most memorable Chicago history and/or Chicago mystery book?
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: July 30, 2012 08:03PM

What is your most memorable Chicago history and/or Chicago mystery book?

By the way, I've read a few of both. My home (late 30's to early 50's) was the Lincoln Park/De Paul area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 09:03PM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Most memorable Chicago history and/or Chicago mystery book?
Posted by: daveg ()
Date: July 31, 2012 12:52PM

History:

City of the Century - Donald Miller

AD:

Date: July 31, 2012 08:04PM

daveg,

Thanks for your reply. I suspect that interest Chicago history is now passe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 09:15PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK ()
Date: August 03, 2012 11:27PM

nordesider, it's passe only to those who cant imagine or appreciate this citys amazing history. I'm a real Chicago history fan/admirer/researcher, touring thru the city in search of whats survived, disappeared, or evolved. Theres one book that I read thats probably one of the best dealing with everyday life and the challenges and struggles. I dont have it now, but will get it and let you know. Also, City of the Century is very good, along with a number of others that I'll post later.

AD:

Date: August 03, 2012 11:29PM

Check out my previous posts regarding 58th and Prairie and James Farrell.

AD:

Date: August 04, 2012 01:28PM

OK, my list of the best Chicago History books,(in my opinion).

Chicago-A Biography by Dominic Pacyga- right up there with City of the Century. A well reseached history of Chicago.

Smouldering City by Karen Sawislak - Sometimes a tough read, but the definitive telling of all aspects of the Chicago fire. a real gem.

Urban Disorder and the shape of belief by Carl Smith - Extensively covers the Haymarket Riot and Pullman strike in all its terror and drama.

Chicago Days by Chicago Tribune - An amazing photographic history of Chicago history

And finally, my personal favorite , Challenging Chicago-Everyday life 1837-1920
by Perry Duis - Detailed telling of what the city dwellers had to deal with in everyday life, like transportation, food,schooling, etc,etc,etc. Really makes you realise the struggles and challenges faced by all city dwellers. Have you ever wondered for instance, how did Chicago people in the 1800s do for food? How did they get around? Where did they work and what were they paid. I love it!!
Well, thats my 2 cents, check these out.

AD:

Date: August 04, 2012 01:51PM

Of course for mystery, Devil in the White City.

AD:

Date: August 05, 2012 12:18PM

HOLTANEK,

I agree with Challenging Chicago-Everyday life 1837-1920 by Perry Duis and also, another of his "The Saloon". And in regard to "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson, one can see the former location of Holmes's place on the northwest corner of 63rd and Wallace: now a parking lot on Google Maps street view.

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: August 09, 2012 02:20PM

+1 on "Devil in the White City", but Herbert Asbury's "The Gangs of Chicago" is another excellent and entertaining historic read, though the history is pre-Prohibition/Capone era.

AD:

Date: October 18, 2012 01:55PM

One of my favorite Chicago mystery authors is Robert Goldsborough and I thought some FCF readers may be interested in reading Goldsborough's Snap Malek Mystery series, especailly his Death in Pilsen and Shadow of the Bomb. The mysteries take place in the 40s; and the main fictional character, Steve Malek, was a member of a Sokol for awhile growing up in Pilsen. I didn't know what a Sokol was until it was mentioned in the Shadow of the Bomb mystery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 09:36PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 04, 2013 04:10PM

Gem of the Prairie (pre Capone vice in Chicago)
Mayer & Wades Growth Of A Metropolis
Dining In Chicago (1930) by Drury
Old Chicago Houses also by Drury
Andreas' History Of Cook County 1884 (Chicago and Suburbs)
Really The Blues by Mezz Mezzrow
Hot Man by Art Hodes
So Big by Edna Ferber
Talking To Myself by Studs Terkel
That'll get ya started!

AD:

Date: May 05, 2013 02:00PM

Paul Petraitis,

Thanks for your interesting list of books, and in particular, Edna Ferber's --- So Big --- I would like to read it. By the way, some Chicago short stories that I have read, also written by Ferber, are titled: The Afternoon of a Faun, Old Man Minick, Home Girl, and The Sudden Sixties.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20419/20419-h/20419-h.htm#Page_222

AD:

Posted by: Mikey ()
Date: October 15, 2013 04:13PM

Years back, I read a few mystery books (fictional) by Fredric Brown, who wrote many mysteries that are set in Chicago. The neat thing about his style is that as he leads you along chases in Chicago neighborhoods, mostly in the downtown area, he describes every street and alley as he stalks his prey. As you follow him, in your mind you can "see" where he is - buildings, streets, artifices. Lots of fun.

A few I liked, which can still be found in libraries, were "The Screaming Mimi", "The Fabulous Clipjoint", and "Mrs. Murphy's Underpants".

AD:

Posted by: mookie ()
Date: October 15, 2013 06:29PM

Excellent book! Another that I liked was called Everybody Pays-2 men 1 murder and the price of truth.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact