Lewis Memorial Maternity Hospital

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Lewis Memorial Maternity Hospital
Posted by: daveg ()
Date: July 13, 2010 01:32PM

I was searching for information on this hospital.

Lots of google hits but most were "I was born there" along with several promising but broken links. Did read that it closed in 1961.

Anyone here have a pointer to the story of this Chicago hospital? Location, who ran the facility, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 04:43PM by daveg.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Lewis Memorial Maternity Hospital
Posted by: bowler ()
Date: July 13, 2010 08:09PM

If you search the "Chicago Tribune Historical Archive" there are many articles about the hostital from the 1930's on. You can get access to the Archive through the Chicago Public Library Website www.chipublib.org from home or any other internet connection. You do need an active and clear Chicago Public Library Card. If you cannot access this let me know I can look for specific info for you and email it to you, we can exchange info thru a PM. Alternately I know a very helpful librarian at the McKinley Park Branch of the library (just ask for Rob) ;)

AD:

Posted by: Chidude84 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 01:09AM

There was a Lewis Memorial Maternity Hospital of Chicago's south side at 3001 S. Michigan Avenue, pretty much on the corner of Michigan and 29th. It was an archdiocese hospital run by Sisters of Charity of Providence. Check this site out: http://www.sacredhealing.com/triadoption/AAOMH/Illinois.pdf
And don't quote me but I think the building it was in was a rather tall building, that at one time was a hotel for the World's Fair in 1893. I hope this helps!

AD:

Date: July 16, 2010 11:12AM

Many thanks Chidude84.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 02:25PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2010 02:24PM

I've learned that the hotel was the Lakota Hotel which was having trouble during
the depression and thus was purchased by Frank J. Lewis and converted to a maternity hospital. The hospital closed in 1961. I stumbled on an old picture of the building. I'd say is was 10 or so stories, and for the life of me I can't find the picture again.

Frank J. Lewis made extensive donations to Loyola University. This might explain why there is a Lewis Towers at Loyola's downtown campus and the medical school building being named Julia Deal Lewis, wife of Frank Lewis.

Interesting what you discover when you're looking for something else.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2010 05:00PM

For those interested, I found a photo of the Lakota Hotel which became the Lewis Memorial Maternity Hospital.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pA4NjLaQHcoC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=lakota+hotel+chicago&source=bl&ots=MBOIMFtGQe&sig=sdxrKegT-KsTx_PlxdisIjV1gg0&hl=en&ei=rPlBTNWwBMeengfRn5zdDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=lakota%20hotel%20chicago&f=false

AD:

Posted by: Chidude84 ()
Date: July 17, 2010 06:56PM

Yeah,Lewis Towers is named after Frank J. Lewis, he was responsible for giving Loyola the building in 1946. He was a huge benefactor for Loyola University, as well as for Lewis University.

AD:

Posted by: DaGrinch ()
Date: February 02, 2011 09:30PM

Does anyone have any idea where the employee records may be for the old hospital? I am looking to see if a relative worked there - I'm told she was a nurse there late '41 to mid '42.

Thanks!

AD:

Date: February 26, 2011 10:46PM

[b]My daughter was born there in 1959.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 11:18PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: February 26, 2011 11:56PM

My brother was born there in 1946, the same year Frank Lewis gave Loyola a building.

My brother graduated from Loyola University, coincidentally, some years later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 11:45AM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: Diana Perez ()
Date: October 25, 2011 04:00PM

I was born at lewis memorial hospital on 5-22-1954 and i need to find out who was born there that day. my mom said when i was born the nurse said she had a boy. but they gave her me. she never questioned it but told me. im sure im hers but my family is hispanic and are olive color i have blonde hair green eyes but the thought is in my head can you help me?

AD:

Date: October 25, 2011 06:35PM

Diana - I have no idea if these suggestions might work for you, but they came to mind.

Perhaps you can contact the archdiocese office and see if they might have records of the hospital or know where else they might be.

I also wonder if Cook County might let you search for birth records at Lewis Memorial on the date mentioned.

Good luck.

AD:

Date: October 27, 2011 07:09PM

Found this picture of them demolishing the hospital in 1962 on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demolishing-Lewis-Memorial-Hospital-1962-4x5-PHOTO-NEG-/260814863845

AD:

Date: October 27, 2011 07:15PM

Another photo:

http://photofiles.lib.uchicago.edu/db.xqy?one=apf2-10011.xml

AD:

Date: October 27, 2011 09:59PM

Thanks for the links Rob !!!

AD:

Date: October 27, 2011 11:45PM

[b]My daughter was born there in 1959.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: sheepandgoatlady ()
Date: November 17, 2011 06:42AM

I was born at Lewish Memorial hospital in 1943,, I think all the records are gone by now,

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:17PM

Although Frank Lewis and his wife were hkuge benefactors to Catholic entities, I am not sure the hospital was under the auspices of the Church, but if it was, you might have some luck at the Archdioce. They keep pretty complete records, but you would probably have to search by date, and that may be difficult, if it is even possible.

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 ()
Date: April 08, 2012 11:10AM

I was born there too and while I don't look like the rest of my family, they're pretty normal so I'm going with what I've got.

AD:

Posted by: Maureen_T ()
Date: June 11, 2012 01:10PM

See the autobiography of Bertha Van Hoosen, MD, "Petticoat Surgeon". On page 197-198, she writes of the start of this hospital.

AD:

Posted by: 7chicago7 ()
Date: January 12, 2013 09:34AM

I was born at Lewis Memorial on 12-4-49. Years ago my mother told me that the hospital had been run as a "separate but equal" facility, and when integration became a matter of law, Mrs. Lewis declined and closed the hospital permanently. None of this was a secret. It was in the newspapers.

AD:

Posted by: albert ()
Date: March 03, 2013 09:15PM

To Ms Perez:

I found you october 2011 post to be similiar to a story my mother told me when I was born at Lewis in 1950. She said the nurses gave her a baby to take home and while she was walking out another woman said " That is my baby" They found the mistake and took the baby from my mom and gave her me. I think I'm with the right family now but sounds like they had a hard time with the baby boom. Also my mom said it cost $15 to have a baby there in 1950. Pay for what you get?

AD:

Posted by: cshiley ()
Date: March 21, 2014 03:27PM

I was born there in April 1940. My parents lived in Northbrook.
I can't figure why they traveled 29 miles thru the city to go there.
My brothers were born in Evanston.

AD:

Date: March 21, 2014 08:11PM

[bWe went there because it was it was very low cost. My wife went and payed for check ups and when my daughter was born it was all covered. It was connected to the Catholic Church and was a great help to those who had little or no money. was in 1959][/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact