The giant chains behind the old Historical Society?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
The giant chains behind the old Historical Society?
Posted by: brookish ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:52AM

I was always fascinated by this as a child. Are they still there? Where in the world did they come from and what is the significance?? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The giant chains behind the old Historical Society?
Date: May 22, 2010 09:41PM

To clarify. I'm speaking of what used to be known as the Historical Society on north Clark near Lasalle. The giant chain was behind the building. From a ship or what?

AD:

Posted by: adgorn ()
Date: May 28, 2010 01:10PM

Call the Chicago History Museum (www.chicagohs.org) and ask them.

AD:

Posted by: cisqween ()
Date: May 28, 2010 04:50PM

I think Geoffrey Baer talked about this in the "Forgotten Chicago" series. I believe it turned out to be a fake.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: October 08, 2012 02:23PM

I know this is an old thread, but I came along it while browsing the site and have some info on the subject. When I last visited the museum a few years ago, the chains were still in their original location flanking the exterior steps to the old north entrance. During a boyhood visit (early 1960s) we were told that the links were part of a longer chain used as a river blockade during the war of 1812. I think it was the Hudson River and was intended to keep British warships from navigating upstream. FYI, on the opposite side of this same former entrance is a large metal "blob" of what had been pots and pans that melted and fused together in the Great Chicago fire.

AD:

Date: November 03, 2012 09:06PM

Hi, I'm the OP. Thanks you so much for this info!!!!!Had looked and was unable to find info about the "giant chain".

AD:

Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 08, 2013 02:42AM

It was from the Charles Gunther Collection and CHICAGO HISTORY magazine had an article about it back in '72 when I worked there on the magazine!

AD:

Posted by: querencia ()
Date: July 19, 2013 03:37AM

This thread reminds me to mention again that if you go to eBay and search "chicago postcards" you can spend hours looking at old Chicago scenes (one that shows up from time to time depicts the old Historical Society with ladies in long dresses getting on the streetcar out in front).

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact