s.s. cyrel & methodiuos

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
s.s. cyrel & methodiuos
Date: July 26, 2015 09:59PM

[b]Anybody from St Cyril's school or church at 50th & Hrmitage?[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: s.s. cyrel & methodiuos
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: July 28, 2015 01:39AM

Hi Rich,

We played softball against Cyrel's at Cornell grammer school league. I graduated from St Michaels 48th & Damen in 59.

AD:

Re: s.s. cyril & methodiuos
Date: July 28, 2015 10:05PM

[b]I was there in the early 50's Lived across Cornell Park on Wolcott. Had hot dog stand on NW corner of 51st & wolcott. [/b]

AD:

Date: July 30, 2015 12:03AM

Hey Rich,

I knew about your hot dog stand and Leo Castle's stand back in the 50's, however, when we moved from the back of the yards to 55th and Komensky we use to go to Little Eddies on 59th and Pulaski. Then in the 70's my cousin who Owned Town Club Tavern ( you know it when Roger Casper bought it) my cousin bought one of Little Eddies stand on 67th street and I bought three hot dog trucks and called them Danny's Dogs. Small world.

AD:

Date: July 30, 2015 12:11AM

[b]Small world. I hung out at Caspers in the 70's and I know Little Eddies because I worked at Rex TV at 6011 s Pulaski from 1965 to 1987.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 08, 2015 11:56PM

Rich,

I still have my folks first Zenith Consol Tv. Phonograph, radio and round screen tv. I kept it as a family treasure. We watched many shows on it back in the 50's. Still have many of the tubes that we had Rex on 51st check and then we moved to 55th and Komensky and then we had Rex check on 60th street or we took them to Walgreens on 59th street and checked them ourselves. What memories!!

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: September 09, 2015 01:41AM

Swede, I guess we had a similar TV. Dad had a crystal set at eight years of age in 1920, saw TV exhibited at the Century of Progress in '33-'34 and knew then that he wanted one. Stations started to come on line in the late '40's and he bought an RCA in February of '49 the month before I was born. We had the second one in the old neighborhood at 25th & Washtenaw. Our TV was a red mahogany console, had a cabinet below the phonograph for record storage and the speaker was below the tilt-out radio. It came with a big seven inch (!) round screen and sometime before we moved in '54 two RCA techs came, removed the TV from the cabinet and when it returned it had been converted to 10" diagonal measurement. We always had company on 25th St., even when my older sisters had measles or chicken pox some of the neighbors just had to see their favorite programs.

AD:

Date: September 18, 2015 11:56AM

[b]Re was on 6oth & Pulaski and Ferone Radio & TV on 51st & Levitte. I worked fro both of them. Sam Ferone in the 50's and REx from 1965 to 1987. Then opened up Home TV on Archer a ew doors west of Whte Castle.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: carmech ()
Date: September 18, 2015 11:14PM

Hey Richard did you know Novaks TV Repair on 79th and Central in
South Stickney? They were a Zenith repair shop.

AD:

Date: September 24, 2015 10:04PM

[b]I did work for Novak on 47th & Wolcott in the 60's.[/b]

AD:

Date: September 29, 2015 12:44AM

Our Zenith console has the 12in round screen. The cabinet is still in great shape we keep it polished.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2015 10:19AM

[b]We had a 12 1/2 inch Zenith console in the 50's also'[/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact