past movie theater's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
past movie theater's
Posted by: monymony ()
Date: July 19, 2015 02:58PM

I grew up in Argo,Il back in the 50-60's era.We use to go to the Argo Theater,on the same block was Red's Candy Shop where you would buy your candy & take it to the show if you wanted to.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: past movie theater's
Posted by: chitransplant ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:13PM

My neighborhood theatre was the Illington on Cermak and Leavitt in Chicago. $.25 admission on Saturdays to see second run movies. It was, at one time, an old vaudville house and one of my neighbors used to tell me stories about performing there in opening acts when people like Bob Hope, Jack Benny appeared.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: July 21, 2015 11:48PM

Back in the 50's we saw Jackie Gleason perform at the Chicago Theater Downtown Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2015 02:48AM

Triple feature Westerns were the big draw at the Times Theatre in Jefferson Park. It later became the Holiday Ball Room. Does anyone know what it is now?

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: September 20, 2015 12:18AM

@ jpitt,

Per Kchi from an earlier post, The ballroom was at 4847 Milwaukee. As late as 1986, I found a ad for dancing lessons. By 1988 another article for a savings and loan mentions that the building was demolished. The earliest mention I could find was a 1957 ad. I also found a ad in Feb 1956 where the Times Theater buildinng was being auction. So my best guess that the ballroom operated between 1957 and 1987.

The Holiday Ballroom was once the Times Theatre. Here is a link to Cinema treasures and one for a photo of the Holiday Ballroom.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/5395

http://americanclassicimages.com/Default.aspx?tabid=141&txtSearch=illinois&catpageindex=10&catpagesize=25&ProductID=26265

AD:

Date: September 20, 2015 09:11PM

[b]Where was the Argo Theater locted like address?[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 09:12PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: September 21, 2015 12:00AM

Rich, I can't remember the address, however, it was located just as you enter Argo off of 63rd and Harlem, close to the roller skating rink.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: September 21, 2015 11:22AM

Argo Theatre

7320 W. 63rd Street, Argo, IL 60501

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/6950

AD:

Date: September 21, 2015 01:23PM

Thanks rjmachon.

I can remember sights and location, however, addresses were my weak points. LOL

AD:

Date: September 21, 2015 04:37PM

[b][size=medium]Thanks.[/size][/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact