Restaraunt Downtown 1950's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Restaraunt Downtown 1950's
Posted by: bowler ()
Date: June 08, 2010 08:20PM

A freind of mine remebers her mother working at a restaraunt that used to be located in the loop on Wabash near Adams. It could have been a bit north of Adams but definitely in that area. It was on the east side of the street, was fairly large, and she remembers ir having a seperate area where the men could go (not sure about that). She says it reminded her of the modern day Berghoff's. It was suggested to her that it was the Stouffers restaurant but she doesn't think so. Can anybody indentify this restaurant?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Restaraunt Downtown 1950's
Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: June 21, 2010 11:46PM

Would it have been Don Roth's Blackhawk Restaurant? The originator of the Spinning Salad. It was on Wabash at Randolph.

AD:

Posted by: mishadoc ()
Date: December 16, 2014 12:40PM

There was a Stouffer's Restaurant right about where you said. I remember because I used to go to Lyon Healy on Wabash and play the pianos. If I was with my Mom, she would always insist on treating ourselves to a visit at Stouffer's.
I had forgotten that. Thanks

AD:

Date: February 18, 2015 01:04AM

I worked at Toffenetti restaurant on Randolph St. Between Dearborn & Clark. The main floor consisted of large U shaped counters...2nd floor was main dining room with white tablecloths....3rd floor was the Mens Grill. Ther were 2 or 3 other Toffenneti restaurants in downtown Chicago but do not know if they had a Mens Grill. Carson Pirie Scott's department store also had a Mens Grill. Maybe this will be helpful.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact