The Quarter Meter Bank

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
The Quarter Meter Bank
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 02, 2014 03:37PM

I was talking to my wife about something regarding meters, and this popped into my mind (funny how that happens). Anyway, I was trying to remember which seller used to advertise this thing, meant to help you put your spare quarters to work paying off your installments on your nre color tv. Was it C.E.T.?

It was a paybox like you see on those little kiddie rides in front of stores, or mounted on copying machines at the library. You's put in quarters, and a little meter would register how many, for a given evening of television. I assume it was locked to the power cord, and could only be removed by a technician.

We never had one, because my father was too cheap to buy a color tv. I only saw it in commercials.

Anyone else remembr these?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Quarter Meter Bank
Date: February 02, 2014 09:58PM

[b]What year was that? I have been a TV service technician since 11957 and don't remember that meter. C.E.T. I think stands for Chicago Engeniers for Televivion.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: February 02, 2014 10:03PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What year was that? I have been a TV service
> technician since 11957 and don't remember that
> meter. C.E.T. I think stands for Chicago
> Engeniers for Televivion.

I saw these commercials back in the 1960's, maybe even the early 1970's.

These were mainly on tv's that were being paid for on the installment plan, I believe.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: February 03, 2014 04:26PM

I remember these commercials as well from the late 50's to early 60's. and I believe CET was the company. Remember their radio and TV jingle? It went something like this: "Call Mohawk 4-4100 thats C-E-T for television".

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: February 03, 2014 06:00PM

Just stumbled across this Robert Feder obit that may help you:

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15389261/howard-shapiro-1926-2012

AD:

Posted by: gglow ()
Date: February 03, 2014 08:51PM

Yes, C.E.T. had the quarter meter plan. The store was located on the S.W.corner of
North and Ogden.

AD:

Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 04:48AM

North and Ogden?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 12:12PM

North and Ogden used to meet. Ogden went over Goose Island on an overpass, and crossed over North Avenue around Larabee Street. I think it finally ended at Wisconsin Street. The overpass was torn down years ago, and the street north of the overpass was torn up and used for new development years ago.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: February 14, 2014 04:40PM

Here's a C.E.T. ad from 1978 for renting a washer/dryer.

[url=http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=2898]C.E.T. Television Ad[/url]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact