Samuel Gross' Subdivisions

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Samuel Gross' Subdivisions
Posted by: Chidude84 ()
Date: July 17, 2010 07:16PM

So according to the Encyclopedia of Chicago, Samuel Eberly Gross had 2subdivisionsns and built some 10,000 homes in the Chicagoland area. The question is, does anybody know the names of his subdivisions? I know the more popular ones like Alta Vista Terrace, Grossdale & Hollywood (which eventually turned into Brookfield, IL) and Gross Park (on Henderson & Paulina) but that leaves some 19 more. I know some other names are Under-the-Linden (I believe Humboldt Park) and Argyle Park (Uptown) and the nameless (I think) subdivision on Monroe & 5th Avenue in the East Garfield Park area that was featured in Unexpected Chicago but I can't find any info on them. Anybody got any leads, information, pictures or answers? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Samuel Gross' Subdivisions
Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: July 17, 2010 10:43PM

What is Unexpected Chicago? What did they have on the "sub-division" on Monroe & 5th Ave.? I have a very cool 1910 ear real photo postcard in my collection of those homes.

AD:

Date: July 18, 2010 12:31AM

Unexpected Chicago is a great book about Chicago that shows a lot of different photos of Chicago, mostly of unexpected things, lol I guess hence the name. It's by Camilo Vergara and Tim Samuelson. According to the book, the area around 5th Avenue, and Monroe was a subdivision of Samuel Gross, and the homes were designed by Swedish architect Lars Gustav Hallberg for some of Gross' more affluent clients. Here's a link that shows the unfortunate state of the street today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metroblossom/483359652/

And here's a photo the the area from April 3, 1949

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do?query=state%3A%22Illinois%22+AND+city%3A%22Chicago%22+AND+year%3A%221949%22&page=8&pagesize=20&display=thumbcap&action=browse&pnum=P04299

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: July 18, 2010 02:46PM

For clarification, the book title mentioned above is Unexpected Chicagoland

AD:

Date: July 18, 2010 04:17PM

Yep, the book is entitled Unexpected Chicagoland.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen ()
Date: July 19, 2010 12:41PM

S.E. Gross was the original purchaser of the land that became the Villa District, however, he lost the land before he developed it. This article on the Villa District [url=http://www.thevillachicago.com/aboutthevilla/foundingofthevilla.html]website[/url] has more information about him and a block map of the subdivision.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Date: July 19, 2010 11:49PM

Thanks FranCarmen! I had no idea Gross had any ties to the Villa District.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: August 13, 2010 12:03AM

My parents grew up in Garfield Park, my dad went to St. Philips HS near there.

Fifth used to be called Colorado Ave. Was renamed after the famous NYC avenue to drum up business for the area.

AD:

Date: August 14, 2010 02:41AM

Oh yeah! I remember reading somewhere that they changed the name to 5th Avenue to try to boost the area's retail prestige. And before it was Colorado it was Barry Point Road, so 5th Avenue has had quite a few names, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 02:43AM by Chidude84.

AD:

Date: August 14, 2010 12:35PM

tomcat630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My parents grew up in Garfield Park, my dad went
> to St. Philips HS near there.
>
> Fifth used to be called Colorado Ave. Was renamed
> after the famous NYC avenue to drum up business
> for the area.

Interesting history of Colorado Ave. Thanks.

St. Phillips stirred up memories. Had a good friend that went there. I think the church was a Basilica. Could see it off of the Ike.

I suspect it's long gone.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: August 15, 2010 01:02AM

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica is still there, can be seen from Ike. Only one steeple on it, the 2nd one burned in late 80's. Can't always assume something is torn down, ;-)

My mom and dad went there for grammar school, but they were 5 years apart. They met in 1959, when in their 20's and the common 'hood got them to get aquainted.

AD:

Date: August 15, 2010 02:06PM

Thanks for the update Tomcat630.

Nice to know that the Basilica is still there, albeit with one less steeple.

AD:

Posted by: emylouie ()
Date: May 07, 2013 11:07PM

It appears that the very first street car suburbs developed by Samuel Gross were located at the intersection of Harding Avenue and North Avers Avenue.

North Addition Subdivision was developed in 1883. There was also the Irving Park addition development, which in present day is called The Villa.

Emy Louie
Author of "Fast Trains: America's High Speed Future"

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: May 15, 2013 08:58PM

While researching another topic "Town of Lake Dairy" I found an S. E. Gross Subdivision marked on a 1903 Map of Chicago which was bounded by the Stockyards on the East, 47th St. on the South, 45th St. on the North and Ashland Ave. on the West. With present day S. Mc Dowell Ave. bisecting it diagonally. You have to click on the lower left corner section of the map to zoom in.

[url=http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/collections/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6A1-1903-M5-4of8.html]1903 Mitchell's Real Estate Map Chicago[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: May 16, 2013 05:08PM

Interesting thing about Gross is that he was also an author, and had a long standing suit against the Frenchman Edmond Rostand. Gross claimed that Rostand stole the story of his play "The Merchant Prince of Corneville" for Rostand's hit Cyrano de Bergerac.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact