Revere Camera

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Revere Camera
Posted by: RGrover ()
Date: March 05, 2013 10:33PM

My son bought an old 8 mm camera at an antique shop yesterday and we noticed that the camera was made in Chicago by the Revere Camera Co. I found a bit of info about the company online, and read that the owner started a business around 1920 called the Excel Radiator Co. They made car radiators but started making things like cameras in the late 1920's. I can't find any address for the company. Some old ads on Ebay just list it as Chicago, 16. I'm just curious where they were located. I thought that I used to drive by an old building somewhere around North & Cicero (maybe) that just said Revere on the top. Would appreciate any info. Thanks, love this website. I drive through the westside usually Madison, Washington or Warren Blvd on the way to/from my job around the United Center & have learned so much about that area from the postings here.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Revere Camera
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: March 06, 2013 02:29AM

Not sure where else they were located, but for a time at least, they were at 320 E. 21st St, near the Donnelly plant. Here's a photo of the railyard with the Revere building in the background:

[url=http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=341926&nseq=30]ICRR, 1962[/url]

In the mid-60s, Chess Records moved their operation from the famous Michigan Ave. building to the 21st St. building. I think the rooftop sign became a WVON billboard after that.

AD:

Posted by: RGrover ()
Date: March 06, 2013 11:35PM

Thanks much for the info and the picture! The company that my late father in law owned made some of the springs for Revere Cameras so my son got a bit of a family tie along with his deal.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: March 07, 2013 01:11AM

I believe the building by North & Cicero made either cookware or cutlery.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: March 11, 2013 09:39PM

If "Chicago, 16" means that the postal zone was 16 (which would now be zip code 60616), then the east 21st street address is probably the right one, because that area is 60616.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact