Harrison Wholesale

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Harrison Wholesale
Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: January 02, 2013 01:11AM

Does anyone have info on this former company? I'm asking as my grandfather worked there years ago. Google found some old catalogs on Ebay, the one I bought is from the 40's. They were at 849-855 Washington Blvd. A catalog from the 60'showed them at 500 N Orleans.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Harrison Wholesale
Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: January 03, 2013 04:21PM

I remember Harrison Wholesale well. My dad worked in the Merchandise Mart for the telephone company, and often would take me to work with him on Saturdays. We often stopped off at Harrison Wholesale to look for bargains. The address of 500 N. Orleans would be correct, as I remember the building to have a long frontage along Grand Avenue west from Orleans, on the south side of the street. I remember going up in the old warehouse building, looking at merchandise displayed on old worn wooden floors. I think I might even still have a couple of catalogues around the house from the firm. They closed, I guess, in the 1960's, and Clark and Barlow Hardware moved into the facility. I have no idea of what is there now.

AD:

Re: Harrison Wholesale
Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: January 03, 2013 04:39PM

Dunning 1, Clark and Barlow is still there on Grand.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact