6400 block of North Newark

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
6400 block of North Newark
Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: July 12, 2014 11:44AM

Can anybody provide any information about the 6400 block of N. Newark. While riding my bike by St. Adalbert cemetery, I noticed several wooden store fronts in the 6400 block of Newark. One of the lots at 6451 has what has what looks like a old fashioned cooler in the backyard. I was able to find one ad that indicated in the 1950's there was a bakery named Patty Jo's at 6449. There also is still a tavern on the block. It just seemed like a strange location for a series of businesses at the intersections of two residential streets. It might be that they had a lot more traffic before the street dead ends at the cemetery. Also does anybody know when the street was closed off as a entrance to the cemetery?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 6400 block of North Newark
Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: July 14, 2014 11:28AM

I remember when Newark went all the way through to Touhy Avenue, ending near the intersection of Milwaukee and Touhy. My brother attended the old St. Mary of the Lake Seminary that was at the site of the current park, in about 1968-72, and he showed me that shortcut at that time. I believe that it was closed off right after he left there, in the early 1970's. Interestingly enough, St. Adalberts Cemetery was not originally all one cemetery, as there was a Czech Catholic cemetery to the west and south that is now incorporated into St. Adalberts. Don't remember the name of it tho.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: July 21, 2014 06:33PM

I lived just a few doors south of the bar at 6443 Newark in the mid 1980's. It was called McNally's at that time. Rosie was the owner until she sold it around 2002. According to some online records, it was built around 1925. My Dad use to stop there to eat his lunch and have a beer back in the 1950's. Kchi, it is funny that you mention that Patty Jo's was a bakery (at 6449) because my father was a baker and drove the truck for Signe Carlson Bakery back in the 1950's. It's possible that Signe Carlson was selling them some bakery goods. I know that Signe Carlson had some accounts on Northwest Highway back then. I think McNally's started out as a grocery store before becoming a bar. In the Polk Directory, it is listed as "(Mario) gro" for 1928-29.

It was always houses at 6449-51 Newark when I lived there. If it was a bakery it was long before I moved there. I keep thinking that it was a kid's daycare there back in the mid 1980's. Don't quote me on that. It's been a long time. This home 6449-51 was built around 1915.

The only other business around there in the mid 80's was on the corner at 6457 Newark, it was a grocery store. I went there a few times only. That building was built around 1902. In the Polk Directory is is listed as "(Bessie) gro" for 1928-29.

As for the street, Newark went through all the way to Touhy before it was blocked off around 1975. There was a lot of traffic and drag racing back then.

Kchi, can you show me the ad location for Patty Jo's?

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 01:02AM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:35PM

I found a ad in the Tribune historical database dated 7/16/50. It was a ad for Borden's cottage cheese and listed all the stores that carried it.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: August 02, 2014 02:53PM

Thanks Kchi.

AD:

Posted by: Southpaw ()
Date: September 01, 2014 02:53AM

I am surprise that bar is still opened. I haven't been there in years.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact