Hazardous Waste at 67th and Cicero

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Hazardous Waste at 67th and Cicero
Posted by: mml1975 ()
Date: July 22, 2011 05:27PM

I'm a longtime follower of this site and forum and enjoy it immensely. A few days ago I was driving past the corner of 67th (Marquette) & Cicero for the first time in a long time, and my memory was jogged about a rumor I had heard long ago regarding hazardous/nuclear waste being either stored or found at the huge empty field on the southeast corner of that intersection at some point in the last half century.

I observed that a brand new school and senior citizens housing complex currently occupies that site...kind of an odd choice of land use given the lot's potential prior uses. As far back as I can recall, that plot of land was always used by the city to keep huge mounds of street salt before the aforementioned new developments.

Does anyone have any recollection of hearing such rumors (re: hazardous/nuclear waste) or have any concrete information about such uses?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Hazardous Waste at 67th and Cicero
Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: July 22, 2011 08:13PM

Well is suppose rock salt can he hazardous, but I don't think it reaches nuclear potency. Seriously, the only thing that was stored there was salt for snow and ice removal by Streets & San. It was in a huge mound and covered with some large tarps which may have added to the intrigue.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact