Chips, not the kind you may be thinking of!!

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Chips, not the kind you may be thinking of!!
Posted by: twaflyer1 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 07:57PM

Anyway, just thought of something that was very exciting to me! As I was walking along the old Cicero avenue railroad tracks, just North of Foster, I saw a little old walking path just past the bridge! As I walked along the path that traversed a little gorge, I saw a pretty old tree that just kind of leaned toward the gorge! Looking down, I saw dozens of chips, or flakes, just lying beneath the tree! Could it be, I thought, be a spot, so close to homes and traffic, where an Indian, maybe many centuries ago, manufactured his Arrowheads! I left it undisturbed of course, & brought my cousin to the site! He believed it was An Arrowhead site too! It is still there folks, so take a little exploratory hike one day...but remember to bring your camera! I had none to bring!!! Have fun Tom....

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chips, not the kind you may be thinking of!!
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: April 28, 2014 07:39PM

It may very well have been a chipping station! Here's a link to a map showing the locations of some known Indian trails, villages, mounds, signal & chipping stations, etc.

[url=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UdovYox3pRI/TzLGIErHm1I/AAAAAAAAEpA/P0UWIoDhpng/s1600/Indian+Trails+map+of+Chicago+Illinois.jpg]Albert Scharf 1900/1901 Map[/url]

AD:

Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: April 29, 2014 02:22PM

And, there may still be some artifacts lying about from the 1835 Indian Farewell War Dance. See page 110 of The Story of Chicago by Joseph Kirkland (1892):

http://books.google.com/books?id=9EUVAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=joseph+kirkland&hl=en&sa=X&ei=h7lfU42JJ4KpyAT_2oGQBw&ved=0CFQQ6AEwBQ#v=snippet&q=Indian%20war%20dance&f=false

AD:

Posted by: RGrover ()
Date: April 30, 2014 12:27AM

Very interesting. We live not too far from Thatcher Rd & the Thatcher Woods forest preserves, which run along the Des Plaines River. About 20 years ago I checked out a book from our local library which indicated that Indians were living in the area as recenty as the 1920's. It was an old book about the area and in retrospect, I wish I had "lost" it. Recently we were walking through the woods with our dogs and noticed mounds which reminded us of Indian burial grounds which we have seen in WI.There is a lot to explore and learn about the area.

AD:

Date: May 01, 2014 02:14PM

Items found in the Encyclopedia of Chicago:

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/

Ancient Indian Earthworks in the Chicago Region

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/3701.html

Indian Settlement Pattern in the Chicago Region, circa 1830

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/3700.html

Native Americans

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/874.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 07:14PM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: May 01, 2014 03:34PM

And also, the first frame house in Chicago was built for Billy Caldwell, also called "Sauganash", by the United States government on Wabash (was Cass) a little south of Chicago Avenue. Caldwell's father was Irish and mother Potawatomi Indian; according to Indians of the Chicago Region by Charles S. Winslow (Copyright 1946).

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: May 09, 2014 05:40PM

I wouldn't have thought that something that old would still be on the surface. I wonder where the stone came from.

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 12:38PM

What the heck are they? I didn't want to divulge the spot fearing scavenging or looting, but my thirst for answers leaves me with no alternative! Going west on Touhy Avenue just West of Chicago, and just before the Highway overpass, you will see the last of the really small Forest preserves on the North side of Touhy! After parking, I walked about one full block North until I reached an old Dam! Walking directly West in to the thick brush at that point, I cam across a peculiar pattern of really large boulders! Because of the pattern, it couldn't have been Erratics left from the last Glaciation! If I remember correctly, there were 4 of these large boulders, 2 in front, and two directly in back of each of them! Each was very similar in size, and must have weighed half a ton at least! So, take the path that runs right along the Des Plaines river, and stop when you reach the small Dam, if it is still there, as I just read that Gov. Quinn was removing many of them! The Boulders were no more than 50 feet into the "Brush!" Were they of American Indian construction, or from a Farmer who lived there? In any event, it would have taken a team of two oxen to bring those Boulders there! Of course, they could have been placed there during a later time of modern construction, but when I found an old "Rusted out" Ax head lying against a very old tree, and without the
handle, it obviously meant that 18th. Century people were there doing something there, maybe in construction of that 18th. Century Dam! But my imagination makes me believe that an old Farm stood there, or an Indian encampment! Have fun exploring and kindly keep me posted if further information can be uncovered! I no longer live in the Chicago area or I would bring you to the spot personally! Tom....

AD:

Date: July 27, 2015 09:20PM

Yes, I thought of that too! The site had to be about 200 years old, or so! It was very interesting how pristine the chips looked! The tree overhang must have sheltered those chips from the rain and storms, though in that "neck-of-the-woods,"
it was heavily forested, as it is still today! It was a "Chance" discovery that I will always cherish!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact