2155 Pierce Ave.

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
2155 Pierce Ave.
Posted by: nancybc ()
Date: April 14, 2014 03:57PM

Hi Everyone!
My family once lived at 2150 Pierce which is now called the Horn House which will soon be on the National Register (Woo Hoo!) THey lived there around 1920. I just found out about this recently and was able to find a image of the house on Flickr. My father told me that the family once lived across the street from a settlement house. Now, 2155 Pierce is a convalescent home called Winston Manor. Does anyone know if that address was once a settlement house around 1918-1922?
Thanks so much for any informnation!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 2155 Pierce Ave.
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 14, 2014 06:03PM

Neat!

From the Frommer Walking Guide to Chicago: 'Until 1960, it was a branch of the Eleanor Club. These were respectable dormitories for single working women. In the early days, residents received room plus breakfast and dinner for $6.50 a week. The commodious living conditions included a variety of common spaces, such as homelike parlors and living rooms, a rooftop garden, sleeping porch, sewing room, library and laundry.'

AD:

Re: 2155 Pierce Ave.
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: April 14, 2014 06:23PM

2150 has been on the register for some time.

Back in the '20s, 2155 was the Eleanor Club. It was more of a YWCA than a settlement house.

It offered inexpensive room and board to single women as well as some training and and charitable works. There was also a nurses home and a medical school on the block.

The big settlement house in the area was actually one block to the north.
The Association House at 2150 W North Ave.

They would have been able to see that from the back door of 2150.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 06:28PM by PKDickman.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact