Prohibtion - Soft Drinks

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Prohibtion - Soft Drinks
Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: November 16, 2010 12:19PM

In doing some research into what businesses occupied old store fronts, I was using a old 1928 directory from the Chicago History Museum. Because this was during Prohibition, many of the old and after Prohibition later bars were listed as Soft Drink stores. Does anybody know what the definition of "soft drinks" were ? Is this 3.2 beer? Were these still bars with a wink and a nod and cash to the mob ad the politicians? There were also some stores listed as Malt & Hops ?????????? I know people were allowed to make their own wine. Could you also make your own beer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 12:37PM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Prohibtion - Soft Drinks
Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: November 16, 2010 10:54PM

My grandparents had a tavern on the NW corner of 25th & Rockwell during that time and according to my dad their bar became a "tea house". Apparently the locals would gather for a spot of tea, but of course they also had the stuff everyone was really after. There was a Sgt. on the police force that was the bagman for whoever it was that got the payoffs that kept the heat off. Also, according to family lore Luther St. (2442 S. from 2600 to 2658 W.) was known as Moonshine Alley, with many on the street making 'shine. Berwyn Frank, have you ever heard this about Luther St.?

AD:

Re: Prohibtion - Soft Drinks
Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: November 16, 2010 11:21PM

I never heard of that street of moonshine alley. I will have to look it up.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact