Belmont av w of Oriole av

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Belmont av w of Oriole av
Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:57AM

Hi all,

If you know this area, you have surely noticed that Belmont suddenly gets wider at this intersection. Does anyone know why?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 05:21AM by Vern H.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Belmont av w of Oriole av
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: March 28, 2010 03:52PM

I've always wondered about the jog in Addison at Oriole and I think you might just have answered my question. Thank you! I love this site! I believe it has to do with the boundary line of the suburb of Elmwood Park as it begins at Oriole Ave. on the south side of Belmont. You'll also notice that the streets west of Oriole and south of Belmont in Elmwood Park are numbered. 76th Ave. instead of Oriole, 77th Ct. instead of Ozark and so on but north of Belmont they retain their Chicago "O" names. You can also see that Addison Street takes a slight jog to the north at Oriole possibly to compensate for the slight shift in road size at Belmont and thus retaining the standard Chicago block and lot sizes. My grandfather built a house on Oriole Ave. just north of School St. when that area was still considered part of Leyden Township but was being newly annexed to Chicago.

AD:

Re: Belmont av w of Oriole av
Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: August 13, 2010 12:25AM

I wish Belmont went all the way through to Dupage, would be a nice alt route.

The lettered streets were numbered up until maybe the 1920's? On some SW side burbs, there's numbers for all directions, such as Cicero and Palos area.

I'd like to see the M, N, O, and P street names continue all through the area. The K's go from Skokie to Matteson.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact