Rutland Transit Co. serving Chicago

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Rutland Transit Co. serving Chicago
Posted by: denwoz ()
Date: February 12, 2010 06:34PM

Before the Panama Canal Act of 1912 prohibited the Rutland Railroad by 1915 to own, operate, or control any waterway in the Great Lakes, the Rutland Transit Company and its predecessor waterway shipping enterprises served Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Chicago from Ogdensburg. Where did the Rutland Transit Company terminate at Chicago on Lake Michigan? Did any of them own any port or docking facility there?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Rutland Transit Co. serving Chicago
Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: February 12, 2010 08:13PM

various references i've found:

[i]"The company owns eight steamships with an average tonnage of 2,200 tons, and the wharf and warehouse property in Chicago located on the Chicago River."[/i]

[i]"The lines have terminals for delivering and receiving Chicago city freight located on the Main branch of the Chicago river, with the exception of the Rutland .Transit Co., located on the North branch, and the Union Steamboat Line, located on the South branch. These terminals, with the exception of the Anchor Line and Rutland Transit Company, are leased."[/i]

so we know they owned the facility.

edit: after a bit more digging, i found out that the wharf was at Ontario and the north branch, with 436 feet of frontage and a warehouse capacity of 140,000 square feet. so, a pretty big operation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 08:32PM by crowamonghens.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2010 06:19PM

Many thanks for the source data. Can you please let me know the cite of the sources? Also did the Rutland Transit Co. (RTCo) provide passenger service, and was the Rutland & Lake Michigan Transportation Co. (1923, independent) referenced?

It's interesting that the RTCo port was on the river. The river would have to be wide enough for RT's ships to turn around, lest they backed to the junction of North-South-Main Chicago River.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2010 08:09PM

you're welcome, the first source is "The Manual of Statistics, Stock Exchange Handbook, 1908". the second is from "Report to the Mayor and Aldermen of the City of Chicago by the Chicago Harbor Commission - 1909". both of which can be viewed in entirety on google books.

i noticed on the 1938 aerial, there's a little "slip" of water cut into the shoreline just below erie. after the '51 aerial it starts to disappear. perhaps the ships would back into this and turn around that way.

AD:

Rutland & Lake Michigan Transportation Co.
Date: February 17, 2010 06:36PM

Is there any historical information about the Rutland & Lake Michigan Transportation Co.?
- Incorporation in 1923.
- Service and operation.
- Steamships on service.
- How long in time it operated its service.
- What the highlights, any specially occasional run, and so on were.

AD:

Date: February 17, 2010 07:21PM

other than the re-incorporation in '23, it says it only ran until about the beginning of WWII. really didn't see much else.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:53PM

denwoz, if you have an interest in the Port of Chicago but you may want to get a copy of Maritime Chicago, ISBN 0-7385-0761-X. It is one of the Arcadia series and documents the river and lake from frontier days through development of the Lake Calumet Harbor.
Tugboats were required to move vessels to and from the lake, they could not traverse the river under their own power. I'm sure the reason being was the amount of traffic, in the 1880's 20,000 ship clearances were logged annually. At Wolf Point( the lumber district) alone it was common to register 100 schooners a day. Even canal boats were towed from the I&M in the Chicago River if they had a destination in the Port. I mention the tugs because they were how large vessels could maneuver the river.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact