I&M Canal Calumet Feeder

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
I&M Canal Calumet Feeder
Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: December 04, 2013 01:51PM

When the I&M Canal opened in 1848 it was too shallow at times during the year, by spring 1849 the Calumet Feeder canal remedied that, diverting water from the Calumet River ABOVE Blue Island westward through the valley of the Cal Sag to the Canal. There are remnants of this often forgotten part of the I&M Canal corridor. Alwurn Bridge (now closed) runs along the remains of the old dam (which was blown up in the 1870's by disgruntled farmers up river whose lands were flooded by the rerouting of the Calumet), A property line here and there traces the route of "the feeder"as it wends its way westward just south of Blue Island. An old stone house set back from Broadway Ave (west of Ashland approx 13100 South)is likely the "Canal House"...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: I&M Canal Calumet Feeder
Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: December 04, 2013 02:12PM

"The Calumet Route" was considered a more practical route than the "Chicago Route" when Bucklin the engineer was surveying southern Cook County in 1830, but GUrdon Saltonstall Hubbard (the original GSH Bears fans!) said don't put the terminus too close to Indiana...so chicago it was.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact