Standard Oil Sign - Sheridan & Juneway

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Standard Oil Sign - Sheridan & Juneway
Posted by: olafrance01 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 03:26PM

Does anyone know where I might find a picture, or better yet a video, of the huge flashing neon Standard Oil sign that once dominated the Sheridan Rd "S" curve at Juneway? Also, when was it built and torn down? I've seen pictures of a large Bowman Dairy sign there in 1936 and know it was torn down after '73.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Standard Oil Sign - Sheridan & Juneway
Posted by: cwcarson ()
Date: November 07, 2013 01:02AM

I had posted a similar request about 2 years ago on the Facebook page "You are from Rogers Park If..." and got no response, except the Bowman sign you mentioned. Lived in Rogers Park during the 50's and 60's, and remember the sign well--sort of a "junior" version of the Standard sign at the Lake Shore Drive "S" curve bridge over the Chicago river near Navy Pier. I am hoping your request will get a better response than mine did.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: November 08, 2013 02:00AM

I can state with certainty that the sign was still there as late as 1973.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: November 27, 2013 05:58PM

The IDOT collection has a couple photos of that intersection. Black and white of course, but very nice high resolution.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: December 03, 2013 04:45PM

Here is it as the Bowman Dairy milk sign as in 1937 from the IDOT Chicago Traffic Photo's. I saw that Standard Oil Sign as well and if I find it, I will post it.

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/uic_idot&CISOPTR=301&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: December 04, 2013 02:38AM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is it as the Bowman Dairy milk sign as in
> 1937 from the IDOT Chicago Traffic Photo's.
> http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm4/item_vi
> ewer.php?CISOROOT=/uic_idot&CISOPTR=301&CISOBOX=1&
> REC=6

--Great photo find rj! I just spent 15 min. devouring it with the "zoom in". A garage/car wash/gas station next to another gas station with the most interesting looking sandwich shop squeezed in between. I like the big brick house just to left. My dad worked at Calvary Cemetery in the background during the 1960's. Check out the 'patrol boy' in knee breeches working on the SE corner. He seems to be aware of the photographer. When I did that duty at my school in the late 60's we had day-glo yellow belts. I think my predecessors in the 30's had white belts. The huge residential complex that now sits on that corner is very cold looking when compared to this almost pastoral scene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 12:18AM by Mornac.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact