Raisin in the Sun movie location(s)

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Raisin in the Sun movie location(s)
Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: October 17, 2013 03:50AM

This was inspired by the post about the Belle Plaine filming location.

I have always heard that the scenes of the new (white) neighborhood in "Clybourne Park" where the Younger family moves in the 1961 Sidney Poitier "A Raisin in the Sun" film were filmed in North Austin. However, I have never been able to find any documentation of this - no contemporary newspaper accounts of the filming, no online discussions of filming locations, no memories from the actors, nothing.

You would think that the filming would have caused something of a stir, given the hot-button nature of race issues in America in general, the particular sensitivity to housing integration in Chicago, the fact that the neighborhood was white at the time in real life, and the fact that during the Richard J. administration few films of any kind were filmed in Chicago.

Does anyone know anything about this, and in particular, on which blocks in North Austin was the film shot?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Raisin in the Sun movie location(s)
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: October 17, 2013 01:34PM

Good question. There's a promo photo from the film with the characters sitting in back yard of a newer-looking house that could be in Chicago, possibly North Austin, as you say.
I am almost positive that none of the inner city scenes were actually shot in Woodlawn.

AD:

Date: October 17, 2013 01:49PM

OK, I did manage to dig up some more info:

The book 'Chicago Whispers' mentions extensive coverage by the Defender at the time of filming, in part:

'Chicago's Northside was one of the principal locations for shots of the movie', the Defender wrote on July 11, 1960. 'In true Chicago fashion, the white residents were aghast and for the most part, against the idea.' The paper was referring to scenes filmed at 4930 W. Hirsch Street, the home of Mr. & Mrs. Anthony Casaccio, a middle-class Italian family with two young sons. Like the movie plot, Casaccio's neighbors objected to the filming of a 'Black' movie on their street.
Two scenes were shot in the Kitty Kat Club, a gay bar at 611 E 63rd.

AD:

Posted by: mikebos ()
Date: October 18, 2013 12:49AM

I was there, I remember the film crew on Hirsch between Lavergne & Lamon. I remember an older black women who was an actor in the movie sitting in a car on the south side of Hirsch. All the young kids around the car stared at her. I also remember one of the Paris brothers asking her for her autograph. I don't remember any tension at all. I do remember they were shooting a scene were 2 little league base ball players in uniform were running down Hirsch toward Lafollette park. I though this was really dumb because no body wore uniforms to play baseball in the park unless they were on men's softball leagues.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 02:45PM

I lived there in the 60's, and those houses were new, compared to the mostly 1920's bungalows and 2 flats.

Part of the CTA Bus Barn was developed into these newer houses with driveways. Houses are still nicely kept.

AD:

Date: October 21, 2013 01:26AM

Thanks so much for all the great replies. You solved a mystery that has been bothering me for many years. Wardell, what is the book, "Chicago Whispers" about?

AD:

Date: October 21, 2013 02:52AM

It's about the history of LGBT Chicago from early days up through the 1969 Stonewall Riots in NYC. I've not read it but from the pieces online it looks pretty interesting.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 07:01PM

Was it Ruby Dee (or was she younger then?)?

Chicago Whispers sounds intriguing.

AD:

Date: October 22, 2013 05:00AM

Thanks, Wardell. What is the LGBT connection to Raisin in the Sun?

davey7, Ruby Dee did play Ruth Younger in the 1961 film.

AD:

Date: October 22, 2013 01:58PM

It's mentioned in the book as a part of the section about Lorraine Hansberry's life as an 'out' writer. Interesting stuff.

AD:

Date: October 22, 2013 05:14PM

Deejo - but she wasn't an "older" woman back then....

I wasn't aware she was considered an "out" writer, though I'm not surprised one little bit.

AD:

Posted by: EricV ()
Date: October 24, 2013 01:52PM

Claudia McNeil played the older woman, the mother. She played it on Broadway as well.

AD:

Date: October 25, 2013 02:47AM

Ruby Dee played Ruth Younger, the wife of Walter and the daughter-in-law of Lena Younger, played by Claudia McNeil.

I also did not know that Hansberry was "out."

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

AD:

Date: October 29, 2013 04:01PM

Some Ruby Dee trivia; she was in DC (at Dulles) on 9-11 and rode back to Chicago on a bus chartered by a Republican Roundtable Women's group who had been going to meet Laura Bush. Ruby and one of my friends were the only non-GOP people on the bus back (actually very kind of them to take fellow Illinoisians home with them - they turned down people along the way).

BTW where did Ms. Hansberry live as an adult in Hyde Park?

AD:

Date: October 30, 2013 10:20PM

Not sure she did live in Hyde Park as an adult, but Lorraine and her siblings bought the Pershing Hotel on Cottage Grove in 1960 and briefly ran it as the Nan-Carl Hotel (named after her parents). I don't know how long that lasted.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: November 05, 2014 11:29PM

Lorraine Hansberry lived in Woodlawn at 6140 S. Rhodes Ave.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: November 07, 2014 06:50PM

This movie was just on TV not long ago. I am not sure if it was ME TV or the Movie Channel.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact