Turn-style Stores

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Turn-style Stores
Posted by: ChiTownJim ()
Date: September 02, 2013 10:23AM

Does anyone remember where any of the Turnstyle stores were located? The only one I can recall was located on Kostner near Grand and North Avenues; that one became a Venture store and I think now its a Burlington Coat Factory or a Cook's Store.

Were all the Venture Stores at one time Turnstyle stores?

I believe they closed in the late 70s as I was pretty young at the time.I was actually more familiar with the Ventures.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Turn-style Stores
Posted by: jd ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:49PM

There was one in Westmont at CAss & Ogden in a strip mall called "Jewel Village", where Jewel Co. decided to put all of their subsidiaries in teh same place, so it had a Turn-Style, a White Hen Pantry, Osco, Reichardt Cleaners, Case & Bottle Liquors and of course a Jewel.

Another was on North Ave. & Queen Bee Road (I think that was the name of it) in Glendale Heights, and another was on North Ave. In Melrose PArk.

AD:

Posted by: TimK ()
Date: September 03, 2013 01:03PM

Hello , first time poster . There was a Turn-Style located at Harlem and Foster Ave , this was back in the 60's , early 70's . We grew up in Norridge and once we rode our bikes to Harlem and Irving Plaza ( before it was indoors ... ) and someone stole our bikes . We walked home and I was afraid to tell my Mom we went to the HIP as it was too far and I told her they were stolen at Turn Style ( Harlem and Foster ) which was closer . Well , she called the Chicago Police who I had to tell the bikes were stolen in Norridge ! Always got caught .. good memories .

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: September 03, 2013 07:41PM

I remember reading there was a Turn Style in the Dixie Square mall in Harvey, the mall chase for the Blues Brothers was filmed there.

AD:

Posted by: locoengineer ()
Date: September 04, 2013 12:09AM

TurnStyle also had a store in Ford City (76 & Cicero). It was also adjacent to a Jewel store and later was occupied by Venture and then Sears. My mother worked for Turnstyle for many years and I believe they were a good employer---at least she thought so!

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: September 15, 2013 07:36PM

Turn Style sold some sites to Venture, before Jewel Co. closed chain. Others, like Harlem/Foster were made into larger Jewel/Osco stores.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: November 05, 2014 11:32PM

Many Turn Style Stores were built next to a Jewel. The Turn Style on Harlem & Foster burned down around 1969. Not sure how the fire started.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: November 07, 2014 03:12PM

Turn Style was a chain of discount department stores and was a division of Chicago-based Jewel, the parent company of the Jewel Food Stores supermarket chain. Some mid-western Turn Styles had an Osco Pharmacy, at the time very uncommon for a discount store in the 1960s and 1970s. At its peak, the chain comprised more than fifty stores throughout Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: jacobylh ()
Date: May 30, 2015 12:57PM

I remember when the Harlem / Foster store burned. We speculated about the explosions heard during blaze, wondering if it was ammunition from the sporting goods department. When the store was rebuilt, I worked there until about 1971.

AD:

Posted by: Ernest Blair ()
Date: June 17, 2015 04:11PM

Turn Style was a chain of discount department stores and was a division of Chicago-based Jewel, the parent company of the Jewel Food Stores supermarket chain. Some mid-western Turn Styles had an Osco Pharmacy, at the time very uncommon for a discount store in the 1960s and 1970s.[2] At its peak, the chain comprised more than fifty stores throughout Chicago, as well as in Boston, Massachusetts, downstate Illinois, Moline, Illinois, Davenport Iowa, Indiana and Michigan.

[url=https://personal-statement.clazwork.com/]Personal statement writing[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: June 17, 2015 04:23PM

Another Jewel division that is now forgotten is Republic Lumber Mart. They used to have a yard at Harlem and Wilson, and in a lot of ways were a precursor of the Home Depot or Lowe's type of store. I remember we would never go there because it wasn't a "real" lumber store like Joseph Lumber on Narragansett south of Grand, or Rubenstein Lumber on Grand and Long.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 17, 2015 05:40PM

Rubenstein lumber could have their own discussion thread here, with the 3 stores I'd frequent, scavenging for usefull boards of a type not common elsewhere (the other stores were inner-city on Lake & Morgan, and Elmwood Park on Grand Ave at the long RR crossing). I'd do the same @ Shannon lumber and Mayfair or a couple other now gone yards.

AD:

Date: June 18, 2015 11:53AM

I actually worked at the store at 167 N. Morgan for a few years. In a lot of ways the store back then was really a throw back, a lot of work was done by hand, all of the paperwork was also done by hand. I remember that loading the bins on the second floor of the building on Morgan by hand was really a lot of work, but I will say that I was in about the best shape in my life when working there!

AD:

Posted by: bc.chgo ()
Date: June 22, 2015 06:42PM

Based on an ad from the Sept 25th 1977 issue of the Chicago Tribune, Turn Style had the following locations:

Chicago - 7342 W. Foster Ave
Chicago - 1740 N. Kostner
Chicago - 125 W. 87th St
Chicago - 11440 S. Halsted
Chicago - 7601 S. Cicero Ave

Arlington Heights - 444 E. Rand Road
Deerfield - 116 S. Waukegan Rd
Glendale Heights - 521 E. North Ave
Niles - 8251 Golf Road
Schaumburg - 1311 Golf Road
Skokie - 9449 N. Skokie Blvd
Westmont - 50 E. Ogden Ave

Michigan
4411 Plainfield Ave, Grand Rapids
950 28th St SW, Wyoming

Quad Cities
200 Blackhawk Rd, Moline, IL
3808 Brady St, Davenport, IA

Merrillvile, Indiana
6063 Broadway

Racine
Westgate on Highway 20
Washington Ave & Ohio St

Omaha
50th & Ames Ave
132nd & W. Center Rd

Decatur
Northagate Mall
2800 N. Water St.

AD:

Date: June 22, 2015 06:53PM

While Turnstyle was a Jewel division, Dominick's also tried their hand at a discount store that kind of flopped too. They had the Omni stores, and I believe there was one at Oakton and Waukegan Road in Niles, and another in Bridgeview at 87th and Harlem. They didn't last too long, just a few years.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 23, 2015 11:38AM

(here in Chicago) it was OMNI vs. CUB Foods, both outgrowths of the 'generic food' trend touting the lowest prices - and both confirmed losers

I shopped at the OMNI on Oakton / Waukegan (Niles, in what was called then the Lawrencewood Shopping Mall), and that building now is home to SUPER-H which my dear wife asks me to take her to occasionally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 11:39AM by the_mogra.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact