Darrow Bridge Traffic

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Darrow Bridge Traffic
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: July 01, 2013 12:18AM

Cautiously walked across the Darrow Bridge in Jackson Park today (it's in terrible shape) and noticed the fading double yellow line in the middle. Where did this road lead, and when was it closed?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Darrow Bridge Traffic
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: July 01, 2013 07:01PM

A "Souvenir Map of the World's Columbian Exposition, 1893"

@ http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/410144.html

The bridge connecting the Illinois Building and the Brazil Building, just south of the Gallery of Fine Arts (now the Museum of Science and Industry), is probably the Darrow Bridge.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: July 01, 2013 08:52PM

If you check the Historic aerials, as late as 1962 it was part of a ring road connecting the parking lots for the MSI.
In the 1972 aerial the west side of the bridge seems to just peter off into trails.

AD:

Date: July 02, 2013 12:08AM

[b]I looked but couldn't find it.[b][/b][/b]

AD:

Date: July 02, 2013 12:55AM

> The bridge connecting the Illinois Building and
> the Brazil Building, just south of the Gallery of
> Fine Arts (now the Museum of Science and
> Industry), is probably the Darrow Bridge.

Yep, that's it. The map nicely shows the sidewalk that passes underneath the bridge deck on the west embankment, which is still there. It's got an interesting history - some parts were built long before the fair. Here's hoping it gets restored soon, as at one point on the deck there is a softball-sized hole through which you can see murky lagoon water.

AD:

Date: July 02, 2013 10:09AM

I have read that Darrow lived in an apartment building at 1537 East 60th Street, in 1938, and could see the bridge from his apartment window.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: July 03, 2013 03:31AM

What is the white rectangular structure visible at the water's edge southwest of the bridge in the pre-1972 aerials that is not there in the 1972 aerials?

The elimination of the western approach road to the bridge seems to be connected with the demolition of this structure. It also looks like there was some landfill around the site of the former structure between 1962-1972.

Anyone have any information?

AD:

Date: July 03, 2013 10:10AM

Some background information at historicbridges.org

Clarence Darrow Memorial Bridge

http://www.historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=illinois/jacksonnorthlagoon/

AD:

Date: July 03, 2013 10:13AM

That was the Jackson Park boathouse:
[url=http://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com/2011/12/23/postcard-chicago-jackson-park-boat-house-c1910/postcard-chicago-jackson-park-boat-house-c1910/]Jackson Park Boathouse, 1910[/url]

There was a lot of construction in the park due to the Army base, street widening, and expressway plans that ultimately didn't get built (including a bridge over the park itself). What's strange is that the road remanants are still visible on the west section, as though they weren't even removed but just covered over.

Darrow's building was the Plaisance Hotel, on the SW corner of Stony and 60th (now a parking lot). There's a site marker posted on the parkway now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 10:35AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Date: July 03, 2013 01:27PM

Here's a photo of the Brazil Building with part of the abutment of the bridge visible on the lower right. That's the part which was built about ten years before the fair.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryerson_burnham/4924119189/]North Pond/Darrow Bridge[/url]

This would be looking east.

AD:

Date: July 03, 2013 07:50PM

With many gondolas passing beneath the bridge during the World's Fair; the standing gondoliers surely must have had to consider their head clearance. ;-)

http://digital.chipublib.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cfd&CISOPTR=50&CISOBOX=1&REC=17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 10:31AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: July 08, 2013 01:25AM

Wardell, thanks for the ID of the boathouse. Do you know why it was torn down? What army base are you talking about? Where was it located?

Separately, does anyone know if any other bridges and/or any other infrastructure currently in Jackson Park is an actual remnant of the Fair, besides the Darrow Bridge itself? I never knew features like the Darrow bridge had actually survived the fair.

While some of the geographical formations like the Wooded Island, the lagoon and the Palace of Fine Arts (at least in Replica) have survived, I did not know any bridges or other infrastruture remained because the configuration of the park is so different from that shown on maps of the fair.

I'd be interested in knowing whether other features survive. Thank you.

AD:

Date: July 08, 2013 11:30PM

The Nike missile base was on the eastern edge of the park just north of Hayes Drive, where the golf driving range is now. The radar towers were nearby, on Promontory Point. I read that when the base was being built in the early '50s, the lagoon boats were removed so I'd guess the boathouse sat unused after that until demolition.

As far as I can find, the Darrow is the only intact remnant of the fair (and before) that's still in the park. There's a section of foundation of the original La Rabida building (burned down in the '30s) near the current building, and there are some fragments of the Germania statue that were recently uncovered during reconstruction of the Animal Bridge.

AD:

Posted by: daveg ()
Date: July 10, 2013 07:24PM

I think Geoffrey Baer (forget what program) mentioned there is a public bathroom building that was built for the fair still standing in Jackson Park.

AD:

Date: July 11, 2013 05:08PM

daveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Geoffrey Baer (forget what program)
> mentioned there is a public bathroom building that
> was built for the fair still standing in Jackson
> Park.

Ah yes, you're right - it's just south of the parking lot for the Crown Space Center, before you get to the Music Court by the North Pond. A Hyde Park history article dates it to 1887, and had a twin nearby which was demolished to build the German Building for the Fair.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact