Bar/Liquor Store Vintage Lighted Signs and Marquees
Bar/Liquor Store Vintage Lighted Signs and Marquees
Posted by: captain54 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 04:13AM

The one memory of Chicago that will always live with me is the array of lighted bar and liquor store signs, with the blinking, sequential bulbs lighting up the night. These signs contribute so much to the character and charm of what makes Chicago the city that it is. It is my hope the owners of these establishments recognize this and try to keep these signs in repair.

there is a classic example at Cal's Liquors at Wells and Van Buren. It's not even a sign really, it's sort of a marquee above the window. I'm not sure if it's operational, but it's cool as hell.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/GKlLsjjUZH9BS4Lop7paJA?select=urJ-vIaExdGRKLCd2mE9Kw

Re: Bar/Liquor Store Vintage Lighted Signs and Marquees
Posted by: jsk1983 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 01:23PM

I noticed an older liquor store sign on I believe Elston the other day (I rode my bike up Elston from Belmont to Devon). Classic vintage sign, the neat thing was it still had an older style phone number, the kind with numbers and letters. Anyone know where this is? I wish I had a camera with me, I really should of got a camera phone...

Posted by: jsk1983 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 02:48PM

jsk1983 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed an older liquor store sign on I believe
> Elston the other day (I rode my bike up Elston
> from Belmont to Devon). Classic vintage sign, the
> neat thing was it still had an older style phone
> number, the kind with numbers and letters. Anyone
> know where this is? I wish I had a camera with
> me, I really should of got a camera phone...

Here's a photo (not mine), shop located at Elston and Montrose
Link: http://flickr.com/photos/mss2400/2271813753/

Posted by: celticjunker1 (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 05:31AM

When I was a kid Monarch Laundry had a huge vertical green neon sign that I could see from two blocks away. It was located on 103rd and Malta just east of Vincennes and Beverly. Between the neon lights on all three sides of the Beverly House Supper Club and the bus barn which was also really lit up, that intersection just glowed at night.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact