CHICAGO TOUGH GUYS SOUTHSIDE

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CHICAGO TOUGH GUYS SOUTHSIDE
Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2015 12:31AM

CHICAGO SO.SIDE. TOUGH GUYS LIST 1950-1970S

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: CHICAGO TOUGH GUYS SOUTHSIDE
Posted by: MisterDrexciya (---.ehv.campus.philips.com)
Date: February 24, 2015 07:23AM

No replies yet? I'm sure there must have been quite a few at that time...

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2015 02:55PM

I know the 69th street Loafers thought they were tough, but in my experience they usually needed to have numbers well in their favor before starting trouble. I remember in 1970 or 71 a few of them ganging up on a black mailman in retribution for an earlier altercation with a few of the "new kids on the block"

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2015 10:42PM

[b]The rebels and the spartans. Rebels at cornell park and the Spartans at 48th & Hermitage[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2015 11:28PM

Gaylords in the late 60's around Sherman Park.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2015 01:48AM

I lived on Marquette Rd. St. Marys of Mt. Carmel, hung around the church parking lot,on Wood street.The Loafers would play fast pitch baseball,against the chuch wall.{Do you remember the black boxes spray painted on the walls in playgrounds and open parking lots?} We were in grade school,and the Loafers seemed like grown men.Thay would send us to the little store across the street from the rectory,Louie Caps, for some bottles of soda.or maybe a new rubber baseball. Tough...Ya ,never saw them in a fight. But the word around our neighborhood was we were in good hands.

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 05:00PM

I lived at 6720 s. Marshfield. Mrs Costello made pizza for us. But I went to St Justin Martyr.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2015 12:17AM

My buddies sister married Jay from the Rebels and Roger Casper the Rebel leader would once in awhile would hang around Oakley Playground with some of our older brothers and cousins.

AD:

Date: September 12, 2015 11:34AM

[b]Roger was a leader of the junior rebels and Marvin the older brother was leader of the rebels. I'm from cornell park and know them all.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 11:37AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: September 13, 2015 12:29AM

Jay was one of the Junior Rebels. He worked for me as a mechanic/machinest/ITO driver at American Can Co. (CANCO) during the 70's - 80's. I always told him to will me his Rebel jacket. LOL

AD:

Date: December 29, 2015 11:11PM

Hi all, Im Still with you guys... Richard Stachowski,Swede, and the rest of you guys,are the real tough guys of our city. Thanks for fighting for this site,we ll keep it on top

AD:

Date: December 29, 2015 11:32PM

When I went to Gage PARk High School, there was a tough bunch of kids ,who came up 55th, st. from east of Wester Ave. I remember that they hung out at Cornll Park. We just moved to 58th, and Rockwell, from 67th,and Hermitage, St. Marys. of Mt.Carmel.

AD:

Date: December 30, 2015 04:30PM

[b]What year was that? I hung out at Cornell Park in the 50's.[/b]

AD:

Date: December 31, 2015 04:16PM

That was in 1973 , we moved on to 58th.t and Rockwell. Gage Park was a nice area back then, Rockwell was a wider street, and it seamed that the front lawns were larger. It took a little time to learn the neighborhood,but it wasnt long before we made friends. We once took one of the tennis court nets from Gage Park,and made a hockey net 6 x 4 . Then brought it back up to the emty tennis court, to play ball hockey.

AD:

Date: December 31, 2015 07:17PM

[b]Past my time. I hung around cornell in the mid 50's.[/b]

AD:

Date: January 02, 2016 12:17AM

Oakley Park was our hang out in the 50's, however going to St Michaels in the 50's we made Cornell our second home playing softball, football, swimming and girls. LOL

AD:

Date: January 02, 2016 11:10AM

[b]Was Oakley park behind the pumping station or near 51st st. ?[/b]

AD:

Date: January 02, 2016 09:47PM

Still had roller skating on Sat. mornings , at St. Michaels, in the 70ies. Just down the street of the Mayor Dealy Fun Fair

AD:

Date: January 02, 2016 11:51PM

Date: January 02, 2016 08:10AM

Was Oakley park behind the pumping station or near 51st st. ?

Rich,
Oakley Playground was right on 51st one bloch South of Roger Casper Hideaway formerly Town Club Tavern

Markbasile,

When I went to St Michaels in the 50's we didn't have a rink. Most of the skating parties where at St Joe & St Anns on California and of course we would also go to the big rinks like Swank, Oak Lawn, etc. Also the Fun Fair was called the Joe Megans Free Fair back then. Joe was the back of the yards councilman/alderman Those were the good old days.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2016 12:21AM

btt

AD:

Date: January 14, 2016 09:43PM

btt

AD:

Date: January 15, 2016 10:22PM

The South side had many nice parks with pools like Gage Park was the best, Cornell was good, however, they had a rough bottom to their pool, Sherman Park was ok and McKinley was good. But we were all tough guys who didn't mind cutting our feet just to cool off. LOL

AD:

Date: January 17, 2016 10:30PM

Mon Wed. and Fri. Boys swim Ridge Park. indoor pool, Tue. thur. and Sat. Gage Park pool. We would take the bus to ridge. Funny thing I remember,if you forgot your towel and swimming trunks on the bus,you could go down to the bus barn at the end of the line, and reclaim it. Now days we"d write them off and buy new ones.That was our summer entertainment back then.

AD:

Date: January 17, 2016 11:37PM

Most the pools by us where all in walking distance or we would take our bikes. We also went to 74th Street Beach couple times a week. That was an all dayer. Get there around 8am and stay until 5pm as long as we were home by six to eat dinner with Mom.

AD:

Date: January 17, 2016 11:50PM

Was that beach called Rainbow beach, our Dad and Mom would bring us there on Sundays, C T A bus, down 79th.St. I remember the routy teenagers on the back of the bus on the way home. They seemed cool,we were only kids, but they were highschool guys and girls,This was around 1966, tune in your transistor radio and head to the beach.

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 12:52AM

LOL that could of been us on that bus, however, by that year we were already driving our cars. It was called Rainbow Beach, best beach around. 51st Street beach had too many rocks and Oak Street was too hard to get to, besides it was a high class beach for the condo apartments across the street. Warren Beach and the Indiana dunes were our favorite spots when we drove. More desereted areas.......

AD:

Date: January 25, 2016 01:13AM

Back to the top.

AD:

Date: January 30, 2016 11:06AM

when we were older. we road our bikes from our house on 58th, and rockwell, to oak street beach. We used our old boy scout back packs ,to carry are supplies. Four 16 onz. six packs of old style beer. I dont remember what we did it keep them cold, i think one of our friends was driving down with a ice cooler. Western, to Archer,to State,then over to. Michigan ave. We were prepared for the ide there, but man the ride home was a challenge.

AD:

Date: January 30, 2016 11:39PM

Mikbasile,

I lived at 55th & Komensky from 56 - 67 then I went into the Army. Not far from you. Did you ever go the the Colony show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 12:21AM by SWEDE.

AD:

Date: January 30, 2016 11:50PM

[b]Yes I did and I had a girlfriend that lived on 58th & Sawyer in the 50's.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 11:51PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact