Houses in Alley

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Houses in Alley
Posted by: paul walenga (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 12:09PM

We have discussed the house on 56th and Major in the alley. Has anyone seen the street in the alley? Kenton from 58th street to the alley behind 59th is a row of houses facing an alley and the back of other houses. Another anomaly based on the odd property alignments next to railroads.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Houses in Alley
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:07PM

The one on 56th and major is one of the oldest houses in the area. All the other houses were built in the late 50's or sixties when the streets were also paved in. That house I would say is from the 20's or 30's. I will look at the one on Kenton.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:16PM

I seems that the ones by the railroad tracts were built later all by the same builder. If they faced the tracts they would be harder to sell I would say.

AD:

Posted by: ogradybt (---.us-resources.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:31PM

Medill Avenue is like that, from Milwaukee to Sacramento. One side has garages and the other side is vacant lots and some kind of fenced in industrial yard. It's a strange street because there is a sidewalk along the garages. The blue line runs along Milwaukee, so I don't know if this is also a side-effect of having a rail line past there.

There are also a few streets in Jefferson Park like this. I remember seeing them as a kid, and my dad told me there was another designation for streets that met this definition--not exactly alleys, not exactly streets.

AD:

Posted by: paul walenga (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 04:18AM

yeah 1928 and yeah I would assume thats why they couldnt face the tracks diven that they would be a 10 feet away. Its very weird but certainly pretty unique

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact