Our Lady of the Angels fire

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Our Lady of the Angels fire
Posted by: jimysohns (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2014 01:53AM

I have researched this fire for many years. It is commonly accepted that it was set by an arsonist and burned for nearly 40 minutes before being noticed.The roof on the school had multiple layers and collapsed shortly after CFD arrived. It is the third worst fire in Chicago history. The fire dept. was hampered by a locked couryard and only one fire escape. 92 students died along with 3 nuns. The arsonist confessed in 1961 and in fact went to the the new school and later to a school in Cicero where he started 2 more fires. He was never prosecuted based on his young age of 10 years old. He was sent to montefiore school in Chicago and later to a facility in Michigan for reform. He later went to Vietnam and drove a truck most of his life until his death in 2004. Hindsight suggests that if the powerfull Archdiosece as well as the Chicago politicians such as Richard J. Daley mayor and Quinn the fire marshall had pushed this young man might have been prevented from setting two more fires that killed another 2 people.....diffrent times. Theres also a little known fact that there was another smaller fire set at OLA in June 1958.......

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Savruk (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 04:57PM

I was 6 years old and attending parochial school on the north side and remember the images from that horrible fire. I feared going back to my own school.

AD:

Posted by: jimysohns (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2015 11:51PM

I was only 2 years old at the time and my family had just moved from Belden and Western to Belmont and Oak Park in Chicago. I heard about it growing up all the time.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:03PM

the most important thing is this fire started the practice of fire drills. in the 1950's and 1960's all the Catholic schools were crowded classrooms, St. Denis on the sw side had up to or over 65 kids per teacher, and it was really important to know the fire exits, which was stressed post tragedy. our family knows a gentleman whose sister died tragically in the fire, but he survived and he is somewhat haunted by this even as recent as 2010 when we last saw him

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact