Back Of the Yards Fair
Re: Back Of the Yards Fair
Posted by: coops4 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 06:49PM

Richard S., my uncle bartended on a 2nd floor tavern on 48 Marshfield.

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 07:26PM

coops4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Richard S., my uncle bartended on a 2nd floor
> tavern on 48 Marshfield.

Was that the Character Inn?

Date: December 07, 2011 06:06PM

Yes..sir. I vaguely remember it, for I was in there once as a kid.

Date: December 07, 2011 06:18PM

John S.....I correct myself: Character Inn was at 46th and Marshfield across from the gas station. I was told the one at 48th and Marshfield had small boarding rooms upstairs too..maybe it was a tavern that only serviced the tenants? I also found out from a relative that the bowling alley you are talking about on 48th Honore had a weird spiral staircase and kids had to set your pins. Is that true?

Posted by: jak378 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 06:56PM

coops4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John S.....I correct myself: Character Inn was at
> 46th and Marshfield across from the gas station.
> I was told the one at 48th and Marshfield had
> small boarding rooms upstairs too..maybe it was a
> tavern that only serviced the tenants? I also
> found out from a relative that the bowling alley
> you are talking about on 48th Honore had a weird
> spiral staircase and kids had to set your pins. Is
> that true?

Yes, I was mistaken, Character Inn was at 46th and Marshfield. It had great food with large portions. I wonder when it closed? I am pretty sure that it was still there in the mid 80's

Posted by: BullHubbard (---.dhcp.losa.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 05:50PM

The "Flight to Mars" ride was great--scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid, and I'm sure the people who ran the rides picked up the change that would fall from our pockets.

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 21, 2015 03:27PM

not that i've anything earthshaking to add but I enjoyed going to the BOTY fair a couple times myself, 1964 would be one, and somebody already mentioned the double-ferris-wheel which dramatically swung out over 47th st as it rotated, that was really great. also I agree it was an excellent place to meet girls

don't see those double-ferris-wheels anymore. my daughter loves rides and we still go to neighborhood carnivals besides the usual amusement parks, however i've yet to get us a ride on a double-ferris-wheel anywhere. they must've been phased out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 03:28PM by the_mogra.

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2015 12:09AM

Your right nothing was free about the fair, however, it was fun place to go. I went to St Michaels on 48th and Damen back in the 50's. We went everyday. I loved the nutty butty ice cream bars. I won my goldfish there and he lived for almost 7years. I remember the Little Dipper Roller Coaster. My cousin won the best of show with his Ardail dog. Joe Meegan was a great politician who lived on 54th and Damen. he attended most of the function in the Yards. Good old times.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact