Video Arcades
Re: Video Arcades
Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 08:15PM

Not technically a video arcade, but in my research I came across the "Pinball Palace" at 5200 West 11th Street in Oak Lawn. Not sure when it opened, but by 1982 this distinctive pyramid-shaped building housed a deli. According to Google Maps, this building appears to no longer be extant

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 06:20AM

I seem to remember the one on Western south of Addison being named "Dennis" but don't believe it was part of the chain. Space Fantasy on Broadway and Granville was another one. Think there was another one, name escapes me on north Clark up around Touhy. I think that may have been a Dennises also. Times Square could get a little dicey, way different neighborhood then. And of course the Addison Snack Shop, the ASS across from Gordon Tech. Hardly could see your hand in front of your face with all the smoke. Then again I guess they were all pretty much that way. Oh yes, times have changed!

Posted by: PT (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 10:13AM

Going to the Mount Prospect location of Just Games was forbidden territory - and a bit of heaven when I was in grade school.

We were at the Just Games in the morning before that shooting occurred (not when it actually happened)...proximity to that type of activity put enough fear into us to keep us away from the place for at least a week.

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 07:46PM

[b]Van Buren and State was what we called a penny arcade on the southwest corner. There were also arcades under Michigan Ave lower level. That was in the 50's.[/b]

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 03:26PM

The one at Harlem and Foster was called Just Games, when they switched from quarters to tokens they had a special on Tuesdays, 10 tokens for a dollar. they had an old mechanical baseball game, lots of pinball and then later stuff like space wars, space invaders, pac man, zaxxon, rally x, frontline, armor attack, tempest, centipede...

Posted by: mo4040 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 01:45AM

BTRIPP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spent a lot of time (and a LOT of quarters) at
> the 2-story arcade that used to be at 1160 N.
> State St. (half a block south of Division,
> currently home to TeaGschwendner) ... I don't
> recall the name, however....

That arecade was called 'The Rubus Game Room.' I also remember the aforementioned game room on Randolph. Back in the mid to late 70's, $5 and a CTA Sunday Super Transfer was all you needed for a ton of fun downtown. Cheap eats, cheap movies (usually double features), it was great times.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact