Old, but not Forgotten Stores
Re: Old, but not Forgotten Stores
Posted by: deepstblu2 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 06, 2013 11:06PM

Whatever happened to O'Connor & Goldberg shoe stores? They show up often in photos of Chicago retail districts, sometimes occupying interesting-looking buildings.

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 03:54PM

does anyone remember a store called First Distributors? It was in Chicago, around Lawrence and Pulaski, It was some kind of outlet type store, I don't remember too much, just that it seemed big and had all kinds of consumer products, lamps, vacuums, etc. It later became a Dominicks but I think it is something else now.

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:08PM

In re Jeff Weiner and Lance Grey's comment about Bizarre Bazaar: I'm pretty sure "Bizarre Bazaar" was the correct spelling. I remember the wealth of head shops and hippie colthing stores on Wells street in Old Town. Practically lived down there in the late 60s.

But: good news for you aging hippies! I had a very pleasant surprise a few weeks back, as I was tooling around in the California - Devon area. Adam's Apple, which opened around 1969 (just about the last time I was in there) is STILL IN BUSINESS, with the SAME OWNER since '69. He carries bell-bottoms, rock clothing, and assorted
other hippie stuff. I thought I'd faint when I saw the inside of the place - it hasn't changing one bit in 45 years. I believe it's in the 6100 block of California.

Mikey

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:11PM

First Distributors was on the northwest corner of Lawrence and Pulaski. If you remember, the owner would feature his kids on the cover of the catalog each year. Now a Walgreens is there.

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:20PM

The Adam's Apple is at 6229 N California Ave. I haven't been there in 30 years or more Mikey. LOL

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 11:13PM

Mikey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tooling around in the California - Devon area.
> Adam's Apple, which opened around 1969 (just about
> the last time I was in there) is STILL IN
> BUSINESS, with the SAME OWNER since '69. He
> carries bell-bottoms, rock clothing, and assorted
>
> other hippie stuff. I thought I'd faint when I saw
> the inside of the place - it hasn't changing one
> bit in 45 years. I believe it's in the 6100 block
> of California.
>
> Mikey

There was a shop on Devon closer to Clark street in the 1970's that bought and sold used blue jeans. It had the clever name of Second Hand Blues and the equally clever slogan, "Old blue jeans never die - they just fade away."

Posted by: RON K. (---.hsd1.az.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 11:11PM

shopped at everyone of them including when Shoppers World opened up acroSs from Midway airport.and they had the Bond Car on display when Goldfinger came out in 1964. worked at the old Airway hotel for awhile. good times for sure.
RON K.

Posted by: bishop1 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 08:23PM

~ The Warehouse and Outlet Store at Roosevelt & Cicero
Was Opened in 1958 By Jerry Speir, Al Srarr & Hyman Starr
As 'Shoppers World'.
1961 Aldens Catalog Payed a Tidy Sum for the Chicago Area
Shoppers World Stores.
Aldens later purchased Goldblatts and the Goodmans Community
Discount Stores.
Aldens could not seem to manage or run the discount stores
like their catalog operation and soon went belly-up ~

Posted by: mogee (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2014 10:20AM

Community Discount Stores. There was a small one on 48th s Ashland that use to be the sponsor for Flash Gordon on TV back in the 50's. The store expanded and a large one was built on 47th s Halsted st. I worked there part time while going to High School around 1966.

Posted by: bob427 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 09, 2014 01:05PM

looking for name of a store on milwakee ave south of North ave across from Wiebolts

store. It was a smaller store and had a sports dept. You had to walk up some wooden

stares to get up theire. The 1st. floor han clothing.

robert

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 10:43PM

Anyone remember the Dell Farm on North Ave.at Larabee?

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 08:11AM

zorchvalve Wrote:
> Anyone remember the Dell Farm on North Ave.at
> Larabee?

Not at Larabee, but I do remember a Dell Farm grocery on the northwest corner of Halsted and North Avenue; the north end of the building ending at the El tracks that crossed Halsted. Although I had been inside the store once or twice with my parents in the 40s, I suspect that my uncles, who lived nearby, shopped there, and may have also gone to doctor appointments on the top floor.

There also was a bakery store next door to the Dell Farm on North Avenue side. I don't now recall the bakery's name, but the store seemed to have a permanent widow display of photos of the comedy stage actors Olsen and Johnson from their Broadway show Hellzapoppin. My parents and I saw their show at the Chicago Stadium in the 40s, and I often wondered, whenever I would walk past the store, what the bakery's connection was to the show or actors.

Posted by: bob427 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 12:36PM

do you remember at Armitage and cicero ? on the n.w. corner was a big company(carpet) on the outside you coould walk up to a water fall that goes all the way down. i remember you had to walk up the size of a 6 story building this
wass late 50s early 60s.

bobby

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-102.myvzw.com)
Date: August 30, 2014 02:52PM

bob427 Wrote:
> do you remember at Armitage and cicero ? on the
> n.w. corner was a big company(carpet) on the
> outside you coould walk up to a water fall that
> goes all the way down. i remember you had to walk
> up the size of a 6 story building this
> wass late 50s early 60s.
>
> bobby

Olsen Rug. The buildings were later bought by Marshall Fields as a warehouse. Supposedly Macy's is trying to find a buyer.

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 09:25AM

Jeff_Weiner Wrote:
> bob427 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > do you remember at Armitage and cicero ? on the
> > n.w. corner was a big company(carpet) on the
> > outside you coould walk up to a water fall
> that
> > goes all the way down. i remember you had to
> walk
> > up the size of a 6 story building this
> > wass late 50s early 60s.
> >
> > bobby
>
> Olsen Rug. The buildings were later bought by
> Marshall Fields as a warehouse. Supposedly Macy's
> is trying to find a buyer.

Also, see: Olson Waterfall | Forgotten Chicago | History, Architecture, and Infrastructure

http://forgottenchicago.com/columns/northwest/olson-waterfall/

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 03, 2014 10:37PM

Many Turn Style stores were built next to Jewel Grocery Stores. I believe it was the year 1969 when the Turn Style store on Harlem and Foster burned down. Tartan Tray also had a location in the basement of the former Randhurst Mall in Mt. Prospect. I remember it being a buffet style restaurant.

Posted by: jalessi (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2015 01:22AM

Bishop1,

Did you work for Goodmans?

Jeff...

Posted by: Hugh (---.dc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2015 08:31AM

I grew up in Uptown back in the late 60's and early 70's. We had stores like Goldblatt's, A&P and Woolworth's. The Goldblatt's was made of three buildings. One use to be a bank where the old green neon clock use to hang. And old friend of mine told me that when the 29 crash happened there where about 400 people standing outside trying to get they're money out. The middle part I forgot what that was but the south end was an old hotel. It's funny how they tore the hotel down after Goldblatt's closed down a 2nd time only to build a structure that looked like the original structure.

The Woolworth's use to be on Broadway. Who remember's Gigio's Pizza? The original one? I remember watching the guy himself spin pizza dough in the air. Oh yes and there's Jay Z's that still stands just down the street. So many places. Carson's is long gone. Marshall Field's is not Macy's. Who remembers Montgomery Wards on State?

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.81.---)
Date: February 11, 2015 02:04PM

There is Gigio's Pizza on Oakton Street, between River Road and Lee Street. Could it be the same people?

Posted by: Hugh (---.dc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2015 11:43PM

Don't know. Could always ask them.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact