Halfday Drag Strip

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Halfday Drag Strip
Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2015 01:29PM

How many of you remember Halfday Drag Strip just west of the town of Halfday. Used to run my 48 ford coupe there on Sundays. I believe Grancor automotive ran the place.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Halfday Drag Strip
Posted by: dmr37 (63.139.146.---)
Date: April 27, 2015 12:42PM

What years was it running?

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 10:26AM

I thought I knew every place to race (legal or legal)in and around Chicago, Wisconsin and Indiana, but apparently not. Never heard of Halfday. Like to know more.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 10:40AM

[b]Ford City Drive in the 50's.[/b]

AD:

Date: April 29, 2015 10:53PM

Halfday dragstrip was on an old airport runway about a mile northwest of the town. I raced there in 53/54. Not sure when it closed. I believe Andy Granatelli ran the operation, as well as the stock car races at Soldier Field a little earlier.Google it and i think you'll find some pictures. There was also Meadowdale Speedway for the road racers.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 03:06AM

I'm sure suburban development closed it post haste. "Get those noisy kids away from my new house!" Same with Santa Fe Speedway in Burr Ridge.

AD:

Posted by: Ed J (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2015 05:34PM

Stumbled across this site and really enjoy reading what's said. Sure I remember Half Day drag strip - I drag raced a 1949 Vincent Rapide - friend of mine - Palmer Lazurus ran one the fastest cars back around 1950 - it was I think a 50 Olds coupe - called the Grey Ghost because it was in grey primer - he would turn around 99 to 101 ..... man that was fast back then. I flipped the bike one time coming off the line and bruised my right side pretty bad - the bike handlebars and tank were messed up. whoever was there working the drag strip called for the ambulance that was parked at the end of the strip to come get me - it was an old green Packard ambulance - when they were putting me in it, they first had to remove around 10 tires and a bunch of tool boxes so they could get the stretcher with me on it in the back. They took me to - can't remember the hospital right now, but it was near Half Day. Anyway, I got all patched up with a big bandage around my waist and taken back to the strip by the ambulance. I was around 15 then - got back on the bike (still damaged but barely driveable) and got on the start line to make another run and the small crowd started clapping and shouting YEAH YEAH !! I went down the track slowly laughing all the way. I met I think it was Andy or Leo Granatelli a few years later. They had I believe a '32 white chopped and channeled souped up coupe for sale - parked in front of their speed shop on the north side of Chicago - Leo Grancor was the shop's name or maybe just Grancor ? ANyway I wanted to buy the car but couldn't come up with the money - around $1,600 was what they wanted.

I think I have a couple pics from the 1949 - 1950 days at Half Day - take care everyone and remember the good old days :)

Would love hearing from you guys who read this and can relate !!!

Ed Johnson

AD:

Date: May 03, 2015 07:01PM

Ive got four or five pictures i took at the drag strip when i ran my ford coupe. One is a 53 Muntz jet versus a 52 Chrysler Hemi. Another is a couple of guys on Motorcycles racing. Not sure how to post them on here? asking for a url??

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 04:00PM

Here's the scoop on Halfday Speedway - the brainchild of the late automotive promoter Andy Granatelli ( Grancor ). It ran for 2 years only - 1952 and 53. The strip was a Govt. touch-landing strip used by Glenview Naval Air Station located in the woods of the former town of Halfday, it is now Vernon Hills. Later on it was turned into a Nike site. Now part of it is used as an athletic field for the local high school.

I was there every Sunday it ran and held the 1952 season record speed (125 mph ) driving an old track roadster ( 93" W.B. ) powered by a 373 cu. in. flathead Cadillac V.8 with a chain driven WW II landing craft 671 GMC supercharger running on straight methanol. I ran it in 2 classes - roadster ( M ) and rail ( N ). Top speed was recorded with the body on ( M ) - only 4 bolts had to be attached. Andy had me go on TV and Radio to promote the strip. In recent years I have acquired many Halfday photos, some of which are now in Don Garlitz Museum in Fla. Visited with Don last Oct. - a fantastic person. Got a couple years on him. I probably have more photos and info on Halfday and the Granatelli's (Joe, Andy & Vince) than anyone alive. Just went on line for the first time 2 days ago and not too sharp at it yet.

Love your input guys.

Regards,

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: January 13, 2016 12:56PM

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.uchicago.edu)
Date: January 13, 2016 01:04PM

Great story Jim - the history of Chicago racing really gets overlooked but is really fascinating. Customizing, too - the Barris brothers were from Chicago.
Hope you can share some photos - I'd love to see that roadster.

Folks may not know that Andy Granatelli was CEO of STP and was the one who raised its public image.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 14, 2016 12:29PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 20, 2016 12:27AM

You are 100% correct regarding Palmer Lazurus and his "50 Olds coupe. I street dragged with him with my "41 Caddy coupe back 1950-51. We ran wit different clicks, he hung out with the Chapman brothers (Bob & Jim) who had a peanut stand near my old haunt, Snow White drive-in in Lincolnwood. I was a regular there during the late 40"s and 50"s.In the spring of 47 I was there one evening riding my hot 61+ cu.in. Harley knucklehead when Andy Granatelli got up on a milk crate behind the building to announce that he had just cut a deal to race roadsters (no coupes) on Sunday evenings at Soldier Field - Hurricane Racing Assoc.

In '48 I went to4 wheels before I killed myself on cycles.Became the holder of the top speed recorded in 1952 at Half Day. You can view some rough home movie footage of me, my pit crew, and my blown Caddy powered rail taken at the strip in '52 - didn't know this existed.

Gave up drag racing after the '55 World Series at Lawrenceville, Il.Sold my sprint car in '59 and went "cold Turkey" - haven't been to any kind of race since. Not too many of us early gearheads around in good health, so I decided to come out and stir the pot.

Palmer Lazurus passed away about a year ago. I had no personal contact with him since the early '50s, but a friend (recently deceased) knew him well, relayed to me that he was active and very successful in drag races at local tracks until the time of his death.

AD:

Date: January 20, 2016 07:05PM

You mentioned the Chapman brothers and I remember them well from hanging around Sonny,s drive-in on Harlem near the drive-in theater. I think it was Jim that had the black 51 chevy. Many a great race was launched from that place including a few that took off on Eden's expressway. We stood up on the Willow road overpass and watched them go under. The Chapman,s put an Olds V8 in my buddy Don Zack's 52 ford convert.
Geo.

AD:

Date: January 20, 2016 08:45PM

My street racing days ended when Half Day opened in '52, where I ran with Bob & Jim.
They were deeply involved in the automotive and racing bit, while I dropped out in 59' I bummed some nitro from them at Half Day to try in my Caddy 6-71 blown dragster - it didn't pan out. By the end of '53 my aging 6-71 was getting tired and at Snow White's one evening Bob offered me a new 6-71 for $100. It wound up being front mounted on my Olds powered dragster for Lawrenceville in '55. I did run into Bob once after that in an elevator at 2500 Lakeview, Chgo. in the late 70's where he had just purchased a condo. Those were "the good old days".

Jim

AD:

Date: January 21, 2016 03:33AM

Speaking of the Barris brothers. I visited their original shop in Burbank, Ca.when
I was out there in 1951 vacationing. Have a couple of great shots of one of their
early chopped and modified '50 Merc leadsleds in their lot with me standing in the shop doorway. George and Sam were having lunch across the street a short time after the photos, when the shop caught fire and burned to the ground. They almost were on
the verge of going out of business at that time. I also have a photo a friend took
of me talking with George a few years ago at the Rolling Meadows car show with the windshield and cowl of the Batmobile showing.

I visited Harmon-Collins Cams on business and other spots while there. Ran my 1941
Cadillac sedanette at Santa Anna drag strip that had just opened that year. This
was the world's first official sanctioned drag strip. With my dual Stromberg carb manifold and overbore engine I finished 2nd in my class in normal street trim. Those two weeks in the L.A. area back then, were some of the best times ever.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2016 04:24PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 22, 2016 01:51PM

btt

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.uchicago.edu)
Date: January 22, 2016 07:37PM

Great stuff, Jim - that's phenomenal about the '41 Caddy, in street trim no less!

Interesting that the Appleton and Stewart-Warner factories were pretty much across the street from each other off of Diversey. Real Appleton spots and real SW gauges are getting a lot of money on eBay these days.

My old man was in the Navy ca. '55 on the Pacific Fleet, used to hang out with all the pachucos in LA and knew a few guys who had work done on their cars by Sam Barris. He said they used to race down at the LA River, just like in 'Grease'.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2016 11:39PM

btt

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact