McKinley Park Lofts and "Pocket Fisherman"

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
McKinley Park Lofts and "Pocket Fisherman"
Posted by: captain54 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2008 04:51PM

I have a friend who lives in the McKinley Park Lofts at 2323 W Pershing..I asked about the history of the building and as far as they knew, the previous resident
(before the conversion) was Desks, Inc., an office furniture manufacturer..

Upon further research, I learned the building was the home of Popeil Entreprises in the 60's and 70's. Popeil was the creator and inventor of "Vegamatic" "Pocket Fisherman" "Showtime Rotisseire", "smokless ashtray", and "Mr Microphone", among others...Ron Popeil was best known for the quirky TV marketing that was all over the tube in the 60's and 70's..

Also, the original occupants were United Drug Co., which later became Rexall Drugs..

This building was one of the later additions to the Central Manufacturing District, the first modern industrial complex, the kind we see scattered all over the Chicago area presently, mostly out in the burbs..

My only other experience with any facility there was the building that housed the draft board for the US Army...I remember registering for the draft and getting a physical there in the early 70's...what I learned later is that this was a major send off point for draftees during WW II..

A lot of interesting history in that district...I was wondering if anyone had anymore info or tidbits concerning the structures in that area...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: McKinley Park Lofts and "Pocket Fisherman"
Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 09:24PM

The US Army's Fifth Army Headquarters was in the industrial district during and after WW2, as was a major Westinghouse Electric warehouse and service center.

A friend of mine, a retired tool-and-die maker by trade, worked for Herbst-Lazar in the 1960s and 70s as a maker of prototype models for consumer goods. He did a lot of work for Popiel and had saved prototypes of the Pocket Fisherman and some other products.

He had some hair-raising stories about ol'man Popiel, and stuff he worked on for the company...supposedly they made a lot of things besides "pocket fishermen"....

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-96.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2016 03:11AM

I'd love to hear some of your friend'd stories about Popeil.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 21, 2016 04:28PM

btt

AD:

Date: January 22, 2016 01:47PM

btt

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 02:22PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 26, 2016 02:07PM

btt

AD:

Posted by: phunny bunny (104.129.196.---)
Date: January 26, 2016 02:22PM

My father-in-law worked for the Dept of the Army, somewhere in the block of buildings along the south side of Pershing Road. He had retired from there by the time I met him.

He worked for the Army before WW II; says that's why he volunteered, at nearly 30, to join the Navy. His siter-in-law bet him $10 that they wouldn't take his "skinny ass"...but he won the bet.

Rejoined the Army after the War; no hard feelings, I guess.

Enjoy your day.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 03:48PM

I remember the Army building across from the park. We use to go swimming and fishing at the park in the 50's 60's.

AD:

Date: January 27, 2016 01:35PM

btt

AD:

Date: January 28, 2016 04:39PM

btt

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact