What are the boundaries of the SW Side of Chicago?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
What are the boundaries of the SW Side of Chicago?
Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: March 23, 2015 10:44PM

I've seen this discussed before and was interested in what this group thought. What do you consider the Southwest side of Chicago? Which streets define where the Southwest side is? For example I've seen it suggested on Realtor website's that Bridgeport is considered the SW Side and others that say Morgan Park and Mount Greenwood are the SW Side. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: What are the boundaries of the SW Side of Chicago?
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 12:46AM

That's a tall order Rob. I guess we can start things off with the western and southern limits of the city obviously defining two things for us. Would you agree that we can use the Sanitary & Ship Canal as the north boundary for the SW side? If one arbitrarily selects California Ave at 2800W then yes, you would be excluding Morgan Park and placing that into the South Side but raising another question. What would you consider the area east of California but say north of 79th St. for example? Maybe suggesting the use of streets is not the appropriate way of separating the areas of Chicago, but rather the boundaries are what any individual perceives them to be.
As a life long Channel 5 news viewer I'll offer further proof of the individual hypotheses concept. Oftentimes they have no clue as to the areas of Chicago!

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: March 24, 2015 07:37PM

If you look at the map linked below, the Southwest side is defined (in blue) by 12 Communities. Scrool down for the 12 Community names and map numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_areas_in_Chicago

The source of the map is labeled: City of Chicago Data Portal, which can be considered "official" I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 07:42PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 05:26PM

Like when TV people say Devhen instead of De-VON?

b.a.hoarder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oftentimes they have no clue as to the
> areas of Chicago!

AD:

Posted by: Daninnah (117.247.126.---)
Date: April 16, 2015 08:57AM

The South Side gloats a wide exhibit of social and social offerings, for example, expert games groups, milestone structures, historical centers, instructive organizations, medicinal establishments and real parts of Chicago's parks framework

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact