Tourist Cabins

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Tourist Cabins
Posted by: ThenNowFuture (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 06:42PM

Does anybody know of any in Chicago proper? They might not
be separate buildings anymore, even.

The only one example that is still functioning as a motel in the area is in Lansing, the Lansing Motel, on Thornton/Lansing Road. Looked them up and I think they are a Cyberis type place.

Anybody see any, complete or modified or serving some other purpose?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Tourist Cabins
Posted by: pizza logger (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 07:28PM

I live down the street from the Lansing Motel, I'm not sure it has that cyberis type atmosphere... it's just some little shacks hidden off the side of the road that people go to for smoking crack or spending the evening with a hooker...

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 07:48PM

Not Chicago proper, but in Udina IL (just Northwest of Elgin) on Route 20 is what appears to be a tourist cabin/motel. There is a main house with buildings surrounding the west and north side. Hidden in the bushes out front is the old neon sign that is faded and the neon is gone.

AD:

Posted by: ThenNowFuture (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 07:56PM

I was trying to be kind LOL about the "Cybris" experience.

It's probably a long shot that there are any in Chicago proper, as I think these were for those traveling from Chicago. Chicago had hotels. I know there are some on Lincoln Hwy east of Aurora. There used to be one on 159th and LaGrange Road until about 15 years ago. Pep Boys is there now, I believe.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 01:03AM

[b]There were motel cabins on southwest highway and I believe Pulaski. Anybody know more about them?[ On the south side of the street./b]

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:26PM

Somebody refresh my memory on those cabins on the southside of the southwest highway and pulaski?
There are tourist cabins still in use on the east side of Rand Road north of Lake Cook. Been there on route 12 for a long time maybe the 1930's.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact