The Midget Club

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The Midget Club
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 07:22PM

On 63rd St. just west of Pulaski there was a tavern operated by little people. Only went in there once, maybe about 1973 but here is what I remember about it. I think it was run by two guys and they had a bar that was short enough for them to serve easily. Stools were regular height with some short ones for any little people that might visit and the pay phone was mounted low on the wall to accommodate them. I'm sure there were other things that made the place unique, but that is all I recall right now. Anybody else ever go in there? BTW, the cigar store on that corner had one of those huge fiberglass Indians on the roof. Local kids would shoot arrows into it for laughs. I think the Indian is still up there, but it is an eye wear office now.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Midget Club
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:02PM

I have been in there often and the indian on top is still there but the cigar store I think is gone. Also the currencey exchange was next door before the library was built. I noticed the short bar stools and phone and I don't think they had normal hieght stools. I worked at Rex a few blocks north on 60th & Pulaski from 1965 till 1987 and some of us would stop at midgit's barafter work.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 10:10PM

I've been in the Midget Club - back about 1978. It was run by a couple that had been Munchkins in the Wizard of Oz. There was a giant painting behind the bar of a scene from the movie. The bar was short, but I think they had some sort of riser behind the bar that they could stand on to reach the bar itself. The stools were also shorter than what one usually sits on at a bar. Yes, I remember the pay phone on the wall back towards the restrooms. I think the Midget Club was at a different location though some years prior to the 63rd St place. My parents talked about going there back in the 40s or 50s.
The Indian is still there on top of the building which is now an Eyewear store. He wears a giant pair of glasses now. The Indian was featured in a famous scene in the movie Wayne's World. I haven't seen any arrows in it recently - I think they did something to prevent the kids from being able to do that.

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 12:56AM

The West Lawn Branch of the Chicago Public Library is located on the property now.

AD:

Posted by: tlee169 (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2010 01:03PM

Next door in the same building was Ed's Pizza which I thought was the best in the world in the 1950's and into the 60's -- Medium Sausage for $1.90

AD:

Posted by: jjcairo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 16, 2010 11:28PM

i used to work at a telivison sales and repair store right across the street from it. direct sales for three years. there was a married couple who ran it they were both midgets.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 16, 2010 11:39PM

What was the name of the place you worked across the street? What would be the address? I don't get the picture.

AD:

Posted by: Karen (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: June 17, 2012 03:39AM

I remember peeking in the window when the midget bar was closed. I seen the lil counter, lil stools, and I'm sure there were two door handles. One higher than the other of course. As for the Indian, would ya believe there's a FB page in his honor?...lol...That's awesome!

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 09:34PM

MIDGET CLUB WAS THE REAL DEAL I REMEMBER IT BEING OWNED BY A HUSBAND AND WIFE WE CALLED THEM THE LITTLE PEOPLE.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 15, 2012 09:53PM

THE TV MAN IS ON THE MONEY

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2013 05:16PM

Right Next door to the Midget club was Ed's Pizza. My sister waitressed there in 1966 and would deliver pizzas next door. She met little oscar there. His weiner mobile was parked out front. The owners were The Parnells, both were i the Wizzard of Oz. Mr Parnell drove a big buick with a raised floor and peddles that wer raised way up.Ed's Pizza was owned by the Bakers. He then opened up Charcoal Pit on 63rd and Knox.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 19, 2013 05:39PM

Hugh Manatee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right Next door to the Midget club was Ed's Pizza.
> My sister waitressed there in 1966 and would
> deliver pizzas next door. She met little oscar
> there. His weiner mobile was parked out front. The
> owners were The Parnells, both were i the Wizzard
> of Oz. Mr Parnell drove a big buick with a raised
> floor and peddles that wer raised way up.Ed's
> Pizza was owned by the Bakers. He then opened up
> Charcoal Pit on 63rd and Knox.

Thanks for this update and I'll guess the Charcoal Pit is gone? I haven't been in that neck of the woods for quite some time.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 08:31PM

[b]Who was the TV man across the street? I worked for Rex TV on 6011 s. Pulaski and knew all the TY men in the area.[/b]

AD:

Date: February 21, 2013 02:56PM

Sorry guys can"t help with the T V GUY. A little east of there, between Komensky was a Phillips 66 station, Cavalone's Pizza, a dept store called Baby Haven but don'T remember a T V GUY

AD:

Posted by: Jim R. (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 07:36PM

Cavalone's was between 57th place and 58th on Pulaski.

AD:

Date: February 22, 2013 10:22AM

The orig Cavalone's was on the South Sise of 63rd between Pulaski and Komensky
then they moved to Pulaski Between 59th and 60th.Before Uncle Mitch's ( other side of Pulaski ) became Vi Vi's I don't know if Charcoal pit is still there I moved away from Chicago in 1995.But I'll never forget the woman at Charcoal Pit Named Midge.........She was hot

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 03:29PM

Charcoal Pit, home of the best ever combo, beef and sausage sandwiches, is no onger there. To the best of my recollection it closed in the mid-90's. Maybe a fire?

AD:

Date: February 22, 2013 03:41PM

Twin Sausage was my fav. Dipped in beef juice and smothered with Hot gardinera

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 10:05PM

This couple were friends of my parents.
Very nice, hard working people.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact