Worlds Fair locations

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Worlds Fair locations
Posted by: Chistorian51 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 11:42AM

I came across this picture and Ive been trying to match the current day location of where it was taken but I am having a little difficulty as the current street view does not match up with the background in the picture. Anybody have any ideas, I dont think the location that the website lists is exact. Here are the 2 links
http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/41.782846,-87.589224/id/42895/info/details/zoom/17/

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.82001339,d.aWw&biw=1617&bih=1065&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=1502+Park+Shore+E,+Chicago,+Illinois,+United+States&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=41.782844,-87.589227&cbp=13,45.0,0,0,0&cbll=41.782825,-87.589253&sa=X&ei=55WRVNDyFMG2yAT50oKYBA&ved=0CB4QxB0wAA&output=classic&dg=brw

Notice the old tunnel entrance on the embankment thas has been cancelled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 11:43AM by Chistorian51.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Worlds Fair locations
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 12:43PM

The Buffalo Bill's Wild West show grounds was bounded by streets, 62nd on the north, Grace on the east; 63rd on the South; and Hope on the west -- and 63rd was also " South Rapid Transit R.R." a bridge that possibly Annie was sitting in front of. My shot in the dark.

HOPE Ave 1500 E was changed to BLACKSTONE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 03:09PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:10PM

It's possible that it is the Park Shore E address (or slightly north of there judging by the slope) The railroad embankment is quite low there and all the streets are dug under it. The handrail throws me, but given the fair, they might have had one all along the tracks to keep rail passengers from falling off while using the ROW as a shortcut.

I don't know how the "Side Side Rapid Transit R.R." was set up, but because of the low metra embankment and the height of 63rd on either side, I would suspect it was running either at street level or elevated above the metra tracks. Neither would match the photo.

Alternately, the dirt floor tent with a wooden platform out front, doesn't make me think that it was actually a star attraction's quarters. It might be a staged photo that could have been taken at the "Hunter's Camp" that was on a small no longer existing island south of Wooded Island. It had a bridge running through the middle of it.

AD:

Date: December 17, 2014 02:26PM

The handrail is also what is throwing me off. I do believe that this was her actual tent/living quarters while on tour. It seems that Buffalo Bill set up his show in proximity to the fair to cash in on the crowds, but was not officially a fair attraction so that might throw a wrench in the Hunters camp theory. I found a map of the show grounds the link is below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 02:44PM by Chistorian51.

AD:

Date: December 17, 2014 02:56PM

Based on the map above the intersection in question would have been the northwest corner of camp ground, I am assuming that the street outlined in bold that goes through the Ill. Central tracks is denoting the Elevated line and is 63rd St??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 03:03PM by Chistorian51.

AD:

Date: December 17, 2014 03:22PM

My source is a map within the booklet: Rand, McNally & Co's - A Week at the Fair - Illustrating Exhibits and Wonders of the World's Columbian Exposition with Maps and Diagrams.

My error in writing "Side Side" in my earlier post - it was South Side Rapid Transit R.R. on the map Rand, McNally new indexes Standard Guide Map.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 03:23PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:05PM

Chistorian51 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Based on the map above the intersection in
> question would have been the northwest corner of
> camp ground, I am assuming that the street
> outlined in bold that goes through the Ill.
> Central tracks is denoting the Elevated line and
> is 63rd St??

Ya, that's about right. The narrow strip above is the plaisance.
Looks like the picture was taken right about where they said, or at least as close as the google street view can get.

AD:

Date: December 17, 2014 04:10PM

See the map: World's Columbian Exposition

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/collections/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6-2W95-1892-R2.html

However, this map shows the gronds extended west:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/collections/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6-2W95-1893-R2.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 04:19PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:34PM

The ICRR tracks were raised above grade starting in 1892 in preparation for the fair, and then the viaducts were rebuilt ca. 1919, so it's possible that the platform in the background is the old version of the ROW and that the brick arch came later.

Nordsider, I looked at the first map you linked and noticed the Raymond & Whitcomb Station along 61st St. and Madison (now Dorchester). R&W operated a travel/tour service and ran special tour packages to the fair that included travel on Pullman cars that stopped at their own station.
That segment of track continued west to the old Washington Park Race Track.

Just east of that, where the tracks curve into the ICRR main line - that curve in the road is still in place at Dorchester by the current U of C power plant.

AD:

Date: December 18, 2014 10:33AM

Hey Wayout, are there any remnants of the old Washington Park Track still around? Its amazing how much a landscape can change in a few decades.On another note kudos on the DNA INFO article, its a righteous thing that your doing.After the holidays I will try to contribute a donation.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact