WLS National Barn Dance

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
WLS National Barn Dance
Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2013 10:34PM

Talk about forgotten Chicago. I was watching a PBS documentary about the National Barn Dance. As old as I am I had no idea
that this thing ran for 30 years and was the forerunner to the Grand Ole Opry. I do remember a Saturday show that WLS TV ran some times in the 60s. The Host was Bob Atcher, then the mayor of Schaumburg.

I was particulary curious about the 8th st Theater,on Wabash,where the show was broadcast. Never heard of it before.

<a HREF="http://www.wlshistory.com/NBD/">WLS History</a>

<a HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Barn_Dance">Wikipedia National Barn Dance</a>

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: WLS National Barn Dance
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2013 12:57AM

[b]Yes it was the forruner of the Grand Old Opry. Most all the country music stars performed there including Gene Autry. The theater was taken down for a convention hall attached to rhe Sheridan or Hilton hotel.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 11:36PM

Somewhat tangent - Phil Everly, who passed away today at 74, was born in Chicago during his family's tenure here as part of the Barn Dance.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2014 11:06AM

[b]Yes it was the WLS barn dance and later names the National Barn Dance. WLS AM Radio was and I tthink still is a clear channel station hear all the way and was listend to in the southern states, I'm 77 and remember it well.[/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact