Sacred Heart of Jesus Church - Ukranian Village

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church - Ukranian Village
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2013 08:20PM

I ran across a condo complex built in a old church. The Church name was engraved in either Polish or possibly Ukranian so I could not tell the original name. The building is located at 2258 w. Huron in Ukranian Village. In trying to research I determined the name of the Parish was Sacred Heart of Jesus and that it must have closed in the early 90s.
The stained glass windows were removed, but the outside looks like a church with the steeple or copola still attached.

I really could not find any other information about the parish or its history.

Would appreciate any information that anybody could provide.

Like many old Chicago neighborhoods that stretch of Oakley seems to have a church every block or so. Many were built at a time when people went to Church and the social activity of the neighborhood revolved around the parish. Also there were so many churches because the different ethnic groups wanted their own parishes with priests or ministers who spoke their language.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2013 08:42PM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Sacred Heart of Jesus Church - Ukranian Village
Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: May 02, 2013 10:24AM

Here's the Trib from 1996 http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-05-12/business/9605120089_1_six-units-woodburning-fireplaces-level I think this was a Polish Church. It was one of the first Church to Condo conversions I think.

AD:

Re: Sacred Heart of Jesus Church - Ukranian Village
Posted by: kathetom (---.neiu.edu)
Date: May 02, 2013 05:02PM

Sacred Heart,not Sacred Heart of Jesus parish located at Oakley and Huron was a Slovak Parish.

According to http://home.comcast.net/~genealogy007/RomanCatholicChurches.htm, the parish was built in 1911 and closed in 1990.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact