Old Chicago Academy of Sciences Museum

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Old Chicago Academy of Sciences Museum
Posted by: Deejo (108.246.120.---)
Date: April 17, 2013 04:29AM

Does anyone remember the interior of the old Chicago Academy of Sciences museum in Lincoln Park, east of Clark at the beginning of Lincoln Park West? I remember going there in the mid-to-late '70's and thinking it was the coolest museum of all - it was set up like you were actually in the ancient pre-development landscape of Chicago - the building columns were disguised as "trees" with branches coming off them, there were mirrors on the ceiling to give the illusion that the "trees" continued up, there were fake plants all over the floor with paths between them, and there were dioramas on all sides with stuffed animals etc. If I recall correctly, that was the main floor and then it continued upstairs, with maybe an astronomy exhibit with stars on the ceiling? The other thing was that there was never anyone there. We were almost always some of the only people in the museum.

Does anyone know what happened to all the exhibits? Are any of them still in the building? I think its used for park district offices now. The museum became the Peggy Notebart Museum, but its totally different now and there was some minor scandal involving that process that was written about in Chicago Magazine a few years ago, I think.

At any rate, I wonder if anyone else remembers the old Museum and/or could tell me how long it was set up that way? From what I recall the exhibits seemed old in the '70's, as if they were from the '50's, maybe.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Chicago Academy of Sciences Museum
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 09:20AM

The last time I was inside the museum , was in the 1940s. And, I agree, it seemed always to be empty of people. The only exhibit that I now recall was diagrams of old "Lake Chicago."

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/237.html

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-249-55.myvzw.com)
Date: April 19, 2013 12:45AM

Some of that display was a science project, by my cousin, Joan Bledig. She still volunteers with the Academy.

AD:

Posted by: frag (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 05:14AM

I'd love to know what happened to the exhibits, and if the original building still has any of them set up. There was an article just published recently, about the museum's collections of animal specimens:

http://www.centersquarejournal.com/news/a-naturalists-heaven-squirreled-away-on-ravenswood

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact