The Southland Club operated by Billy Skidmore 62nd and Cottage Grove

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The Southland Club operated by Billy Skidmore 62nd and Cottage Grove
Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 02:16AM

Does anybody remember the Southland Club operated by Bylly Skidmore at 62nd and Cottage Grove. My father was a professional gambler and 3 cushion billiard player there during the 1930's and 1940's.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Southland Club operated by Billy Skidmore 62nd and Cottage Grove
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 12:38PM

On occasion a poker chip from the Southland Club shows up on eBay. Billy Skidmore's mansion is still standing up in Chain-O-Lakes. A colorful character, for certain; he was partners with Sam Giancana in the plan to consolidate the policy games in the Black Belt but died in prison before he got to see his cut.

It's interesting that Skidmore, associated with the North Side Gang, had a club not two blocks from where Torrio/Capone had South Side headquarters on the top floor of the Pershing Hotel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 12:45PM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 11:24PM

Just to add...

In 1925, the Pershing Hotel's lounges and ballroom were run by Al Tierney, who previously ran the Auto Inn on 35th Street (which became the Plantation Cafe). I'm unsure if this was the same Al Tierney who was the American League president.

Another of Capone's associates in Woodlawn was a nightclub owner named Al Quadbach, who owned the Granada Cafe at 67th and Cottage Grove, right across the street from Oak Woods Cemetery. Guy Lombardo's band made its first inroads into becoming a famous nationwide act during its tenure there, helped by radio broadcasts from the club. Legend has it that a gangland shooting happened at the club and was inadvertently broadcast live during the Lombardo band's performance.

In 1934, that version of the Granada Cafe burned down, and Quadbach reopened it a year later at 64th & Cottage, but only stayed a couple of years before leaving for New York. That building, though, has been beautifully restored back to a magnificent ballroom.

AD:

Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 12:14AM

Thanks again,Wardell,After his roofing and gambling days, my father opened up a filling station called, "The Woodlawn Service Station." located at 61st just off of Cottage Grove and just behind a tavern called,"The Grove Circle Inn." One of his biggest customers was Tremont Auto Sales" at 62nd and Cottage. I had the pleasure of putting gas in the cars of a lot of "colorful characters" that my father knew from the old days. To say the least, these were all nice people. My father taaught me a word and a demeanornor in dealing with them that I never forget and that was, "RESPECT."Interestingly, although my parents were divorced,my mother worked for a man by the name of Sam Gordon. Sam ran all of the concessions;that is bars and drinks in all of the major dance halls(ballrooms) in Chicago such as Trinon,Pershing,Granada,green Mill,Paradise, Marigold Gardens,and Aragon.One of his partners was Ernie Byfield. When my mother could not find a baby sitter, I went to work with her and watched some of the big dance bands of th era. I even saw the Womens ball players at Riverview. ( A League Of Their Own) Remember Tom Hanks?"

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact