Hobby Shops
Re: Hobby Shops
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 04:50PM

I've got some old Soviet era model cars myself.

Ah, yes, used to drive by the Monogram factory sometimes on my way to work. Used to love building model cars!

Dunning1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to confess that I really haven't grown up,
> and still collect model cars. I have a sizable
> collection of 1:18 of diecast cars today, and got
> most of them from a place called A World Of
> Diecast, which was on Ogden Avenue, at the corner
> of Arthur Street, in Brookfield. The whole store
> was devoted to diecast models. One Saturday I
> took a ride out there only to find the owner
> loading the last few cartons in a trailer, and the
> store emptied out. Yet to find another place like
> it. Ordering most of my models on line now, both
> from US and foreign sellers. Where else will you
> get a model of a GAZ Volga M21?

Posted by: jamessolon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2014 01:07AM

<Also don't forget Hobbymodels at Devon and Western Avenue>

Hobbymodels also had a shop at Davis & Chicago in Evanston. THey had a basement display space for kids' finished models.

Tom Thumb is still up Davis Street, still selling models, rockets, & lots of craft supplies. I remember birthday parties there in the early '70's when the space used to have a bunch of slot car tracks. Those tracks were given over to display space; good business move I guess, but I still miss the slot cars.

Posted by: Elf Odin (---.mc.net)
Date: July 21, 2014 01:31AM

I can’t remember its name, but I used to visit a shop in Lakeview. It was on the west side of Greenview, a couple of doors south of Barry. The building is still there.

My uncle lived in the next house to the south. That house is long gone, though, replaced by townhouses.

Posted by: mo4040 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 01:31AM

My brother and I used to go and visit Downtown Hobbies (the subway Arcade location) back in the mid 70's to early 80's. Whenever we were downtown, we would at least stop and take a look around. Money was tight, but we managed to occasionally get Tamiya military 1/35th stuff, some model rocketry stuff, and drooled over the trains and R/C planes. Back then, we had no money , but a ton of time to devote to that stuff. Now, a few bucks to spend, but, no real time to get with it.

Growing up sucks!

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 03:49PM

I thought the large downtown hobby store (great for HO trains) on Madison just west of the Loop was called Downtown Hobby, though now I'm confused it might've been All-Nations Hobby. Up until not too many years ago there was a staggeringly good hobby shop, again for HO trains, in downtown Park Ridge, I think called Lincoln Hobby? In the early '60s they were my first exposure to gorgeous all-brass locomotives

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 11:44PM

We use to go to a hobby shop on 47th Street just east of Damen Ave. Can't remember the name, however, it was a few doors down from the greasey spoon chili joint that we loved back in the 50'. I went to St Michaels Grammer School

Posted by: FBC2618 (107.77.85.---)
Date: April 11, 2015 12:19AM

In the 1960's I went to B&C Hobby shop on 26th street to buy Aurora models. When they closed in 1976 I bought their Superman promotional display. I'm looking for a picture of the storefront.

Re:Hobby Shops
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-69.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2016 04:28AM

BTT.

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-97.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2016 03:42AM

Mtt.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact