Another Indian Boundary line?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Another Indian Boundary line?
Posted by: Vern H (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2009 04:51AM

I read with great interest the article here about the former Indian Boundary line. I live near Forest Preserve drive and see how it matches the angle of Rogers av. However, there is an Indian Boundary rd in River Grove that doesn't line up with the other streets. There is another small section of this street on the same angle off of North av just west of 25th av in Melrose Park. Did the Indian Boundary line have a jog in it or is this something different?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Another Indian Boundary line?
Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 12:23PM

Same boundary; different bearing. At a point a few miles north of the west end of the Chicago portage route, the boundary line shifted to a more southwesterly angle:

See the [I]Early Chicago [/I]online encyclopedia:

http://www.earlychicago.com/encyclopedia.php?letter=I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 12:25PM by Mr Downtown.

AD:

Indian Boundary line mapped out.
Posted by: Nickvet419 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 11:50AM

I was able to map out the Indian Boundary Line using aerial imagery. It was actually quite easy to follow if you know what to look for. One main giveaway was the Indian Boundary Roads. Another giveaway were the major mile roads that have a slight bend in them where they meet up with the boundary. The last giveaway are some property lines that end on the boundary. Enjoy! :-)

Here is a link to the path mapped out on Openstreetmap.com http://ra.osmsurround.org/analyzeMap?relationId=1778544

To answer the question above, the boundary changes direction 2 times on the north side. The south side is a strait line all the way to the Kankakee River as you can see here.

AD:

Indian Boundary line mapped out.
Posted by: Nickvet419 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 11:50AM

I was able to map out the Indian Boundary Line using aerial imagery. It was actually quite easy to follow if you know what to look for. One main giveaway was the Indian Boundary Roads. Another giveaway were the major mile roads that have a slight bend in them where they meet up with the boundary. The last giveaway are some property lines that end on the boundary. Enjoy! :-)

Here is a link to the path mapped out on Openstreetmap.com http://ra.osmsurround.org/analyzeMap?relationId=1778544

To answer the question above, the boundary changes direction 2 times on the north side. The south side is a strait line all the way to the Kankakee River as you can see here.

AD:

Re: Another Indian Boundary line?
Posted by: randoymwords (---.c3-0.frg-ubr1.chi-frg.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 03, 2012 11:43PM

Interesting. I used to live by Addison & Forest Preserve and never realized that the line shifted at Hiawatha Park. I've walked the boundary INTO the city, but not out of it. I suppose if you follow the line south to the portage, you'd pass by the burial mounds in Elmwood Park.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact