FORUM (downtown )cafateria

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
FORUM (downtown )cafateria
Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 11, 2008 07:18PM

As a small child in the early '60's. I remember my father, on Sunday's, taking the family downtown to the Forum Cafateria. I think it was on Madison Ave.
Later it burnt down and I beleive some firefighters were injuried. Does anyone remember this?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: FORUM (downtown )cafateria
Posted by: hipoldguy (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 11:25PM

The Forum was a great place, the last of the cafaterias where you could get a complete meal for a good price. The YMCA at 800 S Wabash was another.

There were several steak houses, cafateria style, around State & Randolph, near the Chicago Theater, the Oriental and the State-Lake. You could take a date for dinner and a movie and not be broke.

The last to close was Ronnie's on Randolph. It featured a series of murals that might have been called "The History of Steak Through the Ages". It started with cavemen cooking over fire and documented people eating meat through the ages. The facad of the building, the Heildeberg Building, has been preserved after renovation.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.gyharch.com)
Date: April 17, 2008 04:23PM

What was the restaurant on Wabash that seemed to be under the lightwell of the building it was in (maybe just south of Carson's, on the east side of the street) which had brady bunch wall/partridge family bus stained glass wall panels? My parents used to take me there when I was a kid when we'd come downtown for business.

AD:

Posted by: jjcairo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2008 01:14AM

i remember there was a lunch room cafareia style place on wabash across the street from jeweler's row on 5 north wabash. i saw dan walker there having lunch eating a tuna salad sandwitch after he got released from jail. that was in 1975? i was working as a laborer for a brick laying construction compeny rebuilding the brick fasad on the abey crombie & finch building. they were on the first floor. i think it was called pixie and elsie's

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 10:43PM

HIP OLD GUY
Where was the Forum Cafateria. I was a small kid when my dad took me there.

Also I remember TAD's Steak house on Randolph or Washington and Ronnies on Wabash and Jackson

AD:

Posted by: G.Schilling (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 22, 2008 07:31PM

I remember a cafeteria at 5 North Wabash too. Don't remember the name of it, but I think Pixey & Ehlers (sp?) was at a different location downtown. I believe there were a few of them.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact