Re: North Shore Line
Date: September 23, 2013 01:18AM
The NSL ran mostly in the street where it paralleled the C&NW, so they had more apparent stops, and more frequent service. Problem was, they ran in the streets, so they had to deal with increasing interference from auto traffic. This was one of the incentives for thr North Shore to build the Skokie Valley Route, which also paralleled a C&NW freight line, but eliminated street running (except for grade crossings. North of North Chicago, the lines diverged, and the NSL was roughly mid-way between the C&NW North Line, and the freight line that ran near Route 41. It was common in the earlier days of the railroads for competitors to parallel each other: The C&NW was alongside the North Shore and the Milwaukee Road Evanston Division, as well as the Northwest Rapid Transit Company tracks (who would later allow the North Shore an entry to downtown Chicago, and take over the Milwaukee Road's freight operation on the North Side).
If the North Shore had relocated its shops from Highwood after the Skokie Valley line was in operation (the north side of Waukegan has been mentioned as the most likely place) the line from Wilmette to Lake Bluff probably would have been totally abandonned. As it was, service was cut back, and then everything south of Highwood was removed, with only equipment and crew moves, in 1955. All was removed in 1963 with full abandonment to give the Susquehanna Corp. their big tax break.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 04:42AM by Jeff_Weiner.