Jack Delano, 1943
Join Forgotten Chicago’s Patrick Steffes and the Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development at DePaul University for an all-new and exhaustively researched virtual presentation on the development of Illinois Center and Lakeshore East. Patrick has been collaborating with the Chaddick Institute since 2014, and currently serves as an Urban Program Advisor.
Top: Progressive Architecture, 1973 Bottom: Realty & Building, 1962
Left: Chicago Tribune, 1928 Right: Realty & Building, 1958
With billions of dollars in investment and millions of square feet of office, hotel, commercial, civic and residential construction, the development of Illinois Center and Lakeshore East has also included several unexecuted projects and drastic changes in planning and design. Walter Ahlschlager’s staggering Chicago Tower was planned on then-unbuilt East Wacker Drive, above left, announced in 1928 as the tallest and largest building in the world and quickly forgotten.
Explored by Forgotten Chicago on a 2016 walking tour, Illinois Center and Lakeshore East is one of Chicago’s most fascinating yet overlooked and unexamined neighborhoods. We hope you are able to join us at this exclusive Chaddick Institute and Forgotten Chicago presentation.
Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. Central.
There is no charge to attend this virtual event and advance registration is required on the Chaddick website.
- Webinar on Thursday, January 28, 2021: Revitalizing Chicago’s South Loop
- Webinar on Tuesday, September 29: Reclaiming Abandoned Railroad Lines I
- Webinar on Tuesday, October 20, 2020: Restoring Abandoned Railroad Lines II
- Promoted Event on Wednesday, January 13, 2021: The 1988 Competition for Chicago’s New Central Library
- Webinar on Thursday, November 12, 2020: Presidential and First Lady Sites in Chicagoland