Chicago Public Library Archives. Harold Washington Library Center, Design Build Competition Records
Chicago Public Library
Join DOCOMOMO US/Chicago for an exclusive and all-new illustrated lecture on the decades-long battle to design and build a new Chicago Central Library, The largest municipal library in the U.S., what is now Harold Washington Library (HWLC) is also one of the largest public Postmodern buildings in the world.
Chicago Architectural Journal 7
Included in our illustrated lecture are many unknown and unpublished images of South State Street and the South Loop, including never-published high-resolution photographs showing the site of the current Harold Washington Library Center and the surrounding area going back more than 100 years.
Registration is limited to 100 participants. Attendees will receive a zoom link prior to the presentation. This is a “live” virtual event, and the presentation will not be available for viewing afterwards.
Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. Central.
To register for this event, visit this Eventbrite page.
We look forward to seeing you virtually at this exclusive event!
- Virtual Event on Thursday, October 7, 2021 – The Competition for the Harold Washington Library Center: 30th Anniversary Commemoration!
- Webinar on Thursday, January 28, 2021: Revitalizing Chicago’s South Loop
- That Not-So-Great Street: State Street in Transition
- Forgotten Chicago 2018 Event & Tour Season
- Webinar on Thursday, November 12, 2020: Presidential and First Lady Sites in Chicagoland