1050 w Argyle

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
1050 w Argyle
Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 11, 2013 01:10PM

Found an old bottle years ago. Front reads Frank Petces 1050 Argyle. Just wondering if anyone has any info. Bottle is very old so it could have been made before the renumbering of the streets. Also it is clear which makes me think it's not a beer bottle, although it could be. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 1050 w Argyle
Date: January 11, 2013 08:08PM

[b]At that address in 1928 was Lillian's Sandwich Shop. That's all I could get. I couldn't find that name listed.[/b]

AD:

Date: January 12, 2013 12:10PM

Thanks Richard, I'm getting the feeling this little mystery won't be solved. Like I said it's a very old bottle, so it may have been before the renumbering of the streets. Hard to say, but my research has dead ended. Just would like to get some info to add to my collection of "useless knowledge". such trivial things have always amused me. That's why I love this forum!!!

AD:

Date: January 12, 2013 05:44PM

[b]Did you check the address changes?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: January 13, 2013 05:47AM

Can you post a picture of it?

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: January 13, 2013 01:40PM

I checked random city directoris and phone books from 1866 to 1945, found no Frank Petces in Chicago. Here is where several early city directories are located...

http://georgekrejci.com/

AD:

Date: January 14, 2013 12:07PM

The mystery deepens. Checked the address renumbering. No new 1050, but an old one, which was changed to 1310. So I would guess that 1050 didn't exist prior to 1909. 1310 is a house. Across the street is a factory. Essanay! Hardly a bottling co. Thanks Rusty for the info. Great site! I checked and like you found nothing under Petces. But did find a listing under Petges in Libertyville. "Typo" on the bottle? Petces does seem to be a somewhat awkward name. And found a Frank Petges on a list of WW1 vets, also from Libertyville. Same person? seems Ive opened a can of worms. Also I will post a pic of the bottle soon. Thanks everyone for the input!

AD:

Date: January 16, 2013 05:38AM

Found my guy! There is a listing in 1900 Chicago directory for Frank PETGES at 1050 argyle. There is a small "h" after the name, as are a lot of names. Does this mean house? Also after carefully examining the bottle there is a small notch at the bottom of the "c' making it a G. Rinsing the bottle off really helped LOL! Now to find out what was in the bottle!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact