gun club ponds

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
gun club ponds
Posted by: swampman ()
Date: December 08, 2012 10:17PM

i was looking at google maps and noticed a pond that said " gun club ponds" on 122nd street between stony island and torrence. does anyone have any information on it? is the gun club still active or is it abandoned?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: gun club ponds
Posted by: toc1085 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 03:06AM

I had a friend who was a member of that gun club. It was the Calumet Fields Rod and Gun Club. They had a club house by the pond and one in south western Michigan. They hosted trap shoots at the 122nd St. location as late as the early 90's. I believe the club is now dissolved.

AD:

Re: gun club ponds
Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:02PM

That's the area where the first clay pigeon shoots were started in the 1800's. There were so many ducks congregating on Lake calumet that in the 1870's chicago "sportsmen" would come down to the Kensington Station on weekends on the ICRR and spend a day shooting and drinking. Monday came and the shores of Lake Calumet would be lined with 3 foot deep piles of dead ducks, rotting in the sun. It seemed more sporting to shoot clay pigeons. There was probably that kinda activity along that part of the shore for over a hundred years! In the 1860's Lake Calumet was called Steven Douglas' Duck Pond. He and his cronies dined on ring neck duck dinners at Woodmans Stage Ranch, near 113th west of Torrence.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact