1970s-80s Lincoln Avenue Used Book Store

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
1970s-80s Lincoln Avenue Used Book Store
Posted by: TheScribe ()
Date: December 04, 2012 03:31PM

There was a used bookstore on Lincoln Avenue situated between Wax Trax and the Biograph Theater I used to frequent in the 70s and 80s, but for the life of me I can't recall the name. Refresh my memory? It was a great place!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 1970s-80s Lincoln Avenue Used Book Store
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: December 04, 2012 03:48PM

Was it Bookseller's Row? There was also Guild Books but that was across the street from Wax Trax.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen ()
Date: December 04, 2012 04:07PM

It was Bookseller's Row; however, it was Bookseller's Row second location on Lincoln Avenue. They were first located east side of Lincoln on the 2500 block, one block north. There was a cafe called Periwinkle with an outdoor patio next door. If I recall correctly, Periwinkle closed and Lilly's took over the space and I think they built on, closing off the patio. I may have one or two of those switched, but Lilly's was on the alley, then two doors down was the original Bookseller's Row. Much later Bookseller's Row opened a Michigan Avenue location in the Fine Arts building, and then on Milwaukee in the Wicker Park area.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Date: December 04, 2012 09:25PM

You guys are the best!

Yes, Bookseller's Row! Did a quick search and found howardsbooks.net which has a little history page that brought back many fond memories.

Btw, it was Periwinkle that moved into their original space at 2511. And of course their second location at 2445 had those marvelous rolling ladders.

Many Saturdays and evenings were spent there. Sigh...

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: December 05, 2012 02:00PM

Bookseller's Row also had a store on Michigan Avenue located in the Fine Arts Building during the lat3 1980's. I got to know Howard quite well back then, as I visited the bookstore several times a week. That location closed, and another owner took over with a used bookstore and cafe. I lost track of Howard Cohen until recently when I also noted the Howard's Books up in Evanston at 2000 Maple Street. Living on the northwest side of Chicago, I will have to get my passport renewed before venturing up to Evanston, but I do hope to drop by there soon.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2012 11:07PM

Passport indeed! Ha!

Speaking of Evanston and the demise of classic bookstores, I also used to frequent Bookman's Alley off Sherman. Along with Booksellers Row, I still have the books I purchased there. Good times!

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: December 28, 2012 12:45AM

Alas, you won't find Bookman's Alley in Evanston any longer. He finally closed about a year ago.

AD:

Posted by: ChgoGuy ()
Date: March 19, 2013 11:30PM

Bookman's Alley was still open last September 14. I stopped there on my way home from the Lake Forest Library book sale. I didn't buy any books, but bought a bookend that caught my eye.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact