Long branch tavern

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Long branch tavern
Date: November 10, 2012 11:35PM

[b]What does anyone know about the Long Branch Tavern that was at the west side of the street on the 40th block on south western ave.[/b]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2012 05:46PM by Richard Stachowski.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Long branch tavern
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: November 26, 2012 11:40AM

I don't have an answer regarding the Long Branch Tavern, but it is an interesting name; and I wonder if all Chicago taverns/saloons now, and in the past, have/had a required specific name documented for city tax, etc. My great uncle was the owner of a Chicago saloon in 1918, and I know the address but would like to know the saloon's name, if it can be found somewhere in an old document.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: November 12, 2014 06:07PM

@ Northsider, whats is the address?

AD:

Date: November 12, 2014 08:29PM

[b]I was on the 4000 block south on western on the west side of the street I would sometimes hang out there in the 70's. there were only a few buildings on that block.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 12:36AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: November 12, 2014 09:48PM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ Northsider, whats is the address?

rjmachon,

Thanks for your interest, but I do not want to add anything additional off-topic to Richard's question.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 28, 2015 08:13PM

That that tavern have great sasuage sandwiches?

AD:

Date: January 29, 2015 12:48AM

[b]I don't remember any food there but it was on the west side of the street. Address was about 4020 S Western ave.. It was called the long branch because a branch of trhe river came on the north side of it and flowed to Campell. I remember a picture above the bar of that river.The branch of the river came all the way from Ashalnd ave and crossed Western at 40th st. many years ago.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 12:50AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: January 29, 2015 09:25AM

Richard, Was the picture above the bar a painting of the river? Sounds interesting, I would have liked to have seen it.

AD:

Date: January 31, 2015 09:15PM

[b]It was a long painting of the river as it passed over western through to campbell.[/b]

AD:

Date: February 01, 2015 09:36AM

Thanks Richard, A long oil painting of a river; and possibly still exists, somewhere.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact