race car birthday party storefront

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
race car birthday party storefront
Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: November 01, 2012 02:06AM

A friend recalls going to a birthday party as a child, sometime in the late '70's or early '80's, that was held at a storefront space that he believes was somewhere on the northwest side, but he can't be sure.

Wherever it was, the space was filled with toy/model race car sets which kids could use. That was the attraction and the theme of the birthday party: going to this space to race these model cars, much like you would go to an arcade, etc.

My friend does not recall the specifics of how one paid or other details about this place.

He (and I) would be grateful if anyone can identify this place and give any details about it.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: race car birthday party storefront
Posted by: tom12ga ()
Date: April 21, 2013 04:10AM

I have a suspicion that the place you are thinking of was Tom Thumb in Evanston. Tom Thumb had 6 or 7 tracks at one time, and was probably the biggest in the Chicago area

Here is a [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18WlUB4qY0]video[/url] from a man who worked there since 1969. According to the interview, birthdays were a popular occurrence.

I also recall going there one time.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact